• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Portable Radio Transmitting on Random Talkgroups???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Also, allowing an unauthorized radio will allow them to take resources. For example, if you have a multi-site simulcast system, allowing the radio to affiliate to a site and use a talkgroup where they are the only one to be on the talkgroup on that site would tie up frequencies that could be used for someone who needs them. All this just by listening; they wouldn't even have to be talking for this to happen.

lawman210

I would have the radio serial number checked for history. Is it possible this radio had been programmed as a sheriff radio at one point and then it was taken out of service then reissued? In my experience some units get the best and then when they come out with new stuff they dump it to another unit and get the newer stuff. Spent 20 years in a police department and never had a brand new car for my post. All the suck ups got them and belive me some of those guys had multiple accidents and they still gave them new cars. Meanwhile I had 5+ year old cars with 100k city miles on them that were hand me downs from the supervisor then to a specialty unit then a post. You mention it was a spare. Those are usually the radios that have been issued at least one time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WuLabsWuTecH

I would have the radio serial number checked for history. Is it possible this radio had been programmed as a sheriff radio at one point and then it was taken out of service then reissued? In my experience some units get the best and then when they come out with new stuff they dump it to another unit and get the newer stuff. Spent 20 years in a police department and never had a brand new car for my post. All the suck ups got them and belive me some of those guys had multiple accidents and they still gave them new cars. Meanwhile I had 5+ year old cars with 100k city miles on them that were hand me downs from the supervisor then to a specialty unit then a post. You mention it was a spare. Those are usually the radios that have been issued at least one time

Interesting thought. It's way above my pay grade at this time, but I guess it is possible. I know that lately we have been getting all of our radios new and passing our old ones to the PD but who knows what was up with the older generation of radios.

And while the PD get our old radios, we get their old ballistic vests so I think we still get the short end of the stick! Ballistic vests have a lifetime for a reason!!! I would bet the stab resistant plates are still good, but I don't trust the kevlar to stop a rock much less a bullet (some of the ballistic vests we have are 30+ years old...)

lawman210

Interesting thought. It's way above my pay grade at this time, but I guess it is possible. I know that lately we have been getting all of our radios new and passing our old ones to the PD but who knows what was up with the older generation of radios.

And while the PD get our old radios, we get their old ballistic vests so I think we still get the short end of the stick! Ballistic vests have a lifetime for a reason!!! I would bet the stab resistant plates are still good, but I don't trust the kevlar to stop a rock much less a bullet (some of the ballistic vests we have are 30+ years old...)

As bad as our city is our Fire/paramedics don't have vests issued. Never really saw anyone wearing them. PD is dispatched along with medics if there is any possible mental or assault possibilities. They will stand by til we clear the scene for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.