Portable Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I've been watching Adam 12 I have noticed that the officers do not have portable radios on them. Anyone know what year officers got to carry radios on them? I know Adam 12 took place in the late 60's and 70's. Thanks any help is appriciated. -Louie-

ok thanks! Im 19 years old but enjoy Adam 12. Very educational. Seasons one and two are avaliable to watch free on http://www.hulu.com/adam-12

Its a new site that just fully launched with a whole bunch of tv shows. Emergency is on there too, along with the new adam 12 they did for one season in the 90's.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was one of the studio's set medics for Emergency back in '72 I believe. Lot's of sitting around, got to do a walk on during one shoot. It was cool. Randy Mantooth was a great guy. We were basic EMT's then, didn't even have paramedics in the areas we shot at.

I still do TV, saw one of my episodes on the History channel last Saturday...lol

Jim

dangitdoug

Forgotten handhelds

There was one episode with handhelds that I remember. Reed and Malloy were given SWAT gear. Vests, semi-auto rifles and brick handhelds, lol. I don't know what model they were, but I remember they had telescoping metal antennas. They went into a building after Bobby Badguy.

I'm really showing my age now, huh?

lol, thats the episode I was watching when I wrote this dangitdoug, that was a very very good episode! thats why I asked because I noticed they only had portables for special occasions, for swat. Thanks for the responses!
-Louie-

One more question guys, Im sure it has been asked a million times, but how come the LA fire departement wont let you provide an online feed of them? Will they ever? I know their website says they will eventually, but it has been saying that for the past 4 years i have been reading it. How come they are different? Thanks -Louie-

SCPD

QRT
Handheld radios were not all that common in the mid 1970's. As the end of the decade drew near more and more departments were equipping their officers with them. You have to understand that they were out on the cutting edge at the time. The portables we had in the Forest Service when I began my career in the early 70's were called "packsets." Depending on who made them they came in various sizes and our did not have rechargeable batteries. They were 12-18" long, about 10-12" high and about 5-6" thick. They had a microphone and a short metal whip of 12-18" long that had a bright red, oblong shaped protector on the tip. When we finally got handhelds they came with a steel, telescoping antenna that worked far better than a rubber ducky, but we were always breaking them.

Two memories of Adam-12 the first time they were shown come to mind. First, LAPD officers were required to put on their hats and put the baton on their belt every time they got out of the car, no exceptions. Those hats really looked pretty dorky. One of the biggest debates in any uniformed service is what style hat to wear. With Adam-12 on the air we could always point to what we did not want.

Jack and the boys wanted Adam-12 to be as realistic as possible for TV. When the show first started you would hear the dispatcher tell them to switch to "Tac 2" for another unit and Kent McChord would just start talking as if the radio changed channels automatically. Someone complained and for a year or two after that the same footage was always used in that situation, which showed a hand reach down to the old classic Motorola tan control head and rotate a big black knob over to another channel. If you don't find Adam-12 accurate as to procedure, then you won't find another one that is.

I remember Emergency showing how early paramedics could not get through to the hospitals at times because of congestion on one channel when multiple units were working several hospitals at once. Webb brought this out for public consumption and the FCC allocated the original eight and then shortly after the 10 UHF med channels that form the core of this type of communications to this day.

Webb's programs did much to advance the emergency services, law enforcement, fire, and EMS. He was respected by those professions. There is one exception to this and that was the program called "Sierra", which was supposed to represent two Yosemite National Park rangers. He used the old formula of the older officer being single and the younger, less experienced officer being newly married. Since park rangers rarely double up, along with a whole list of other problems, and because Webb had overused the formula, it did not last very long. I was in college and didn't have time to watch it, plus reception in our dorm room was real bad on the NBC station. The whole mystique of being a "ranger" is pretty overblown anyway and not well represented in any media, so I was just as glad to see the series end with less than two full seasons. Jack was a city boy and just didn't know how to represent this particular job. On that account he was part of a very large group of movie and TV producers, that still exists today, and might be even worse.

I almost forgot, the LAPD dispatcher heard in Adam-12 was an actual dispatcher, I think in the old Van Nuys comm center. I used to hear her all the time in my early radio hobby days in L.A., well I was in high school anyway. I met her once on a tour and as I remember it, she was pretty attractive. When she spoke is was disconcerting to hear her voice coming out live from a person, instead of a TV set.

"1 Adam 12, 1 Adam 12, 459 ringer, see the man to the rear of 8986 Winnetka."

Last edited:
Thanks Exsmokey Great explanation! Yeah I agree Adam 12 was very realistic and educational. and you cant find that in todays shows. Thanks everyone. -Louie-

Status
Not open for further replies.