Portable Recording?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingpylon

I'm new to this whole scanning thing, but I have a Uniden BC346XT and I'd like to be able to record the audio from it while I am out and about, in as compact a form factor as possible. This pretty much precludes the use of a PC and one of the various recording applications available.

I think what I'd like to find is a small, cheap digital recorder with a "LINE-IN" input (not MIC-IN). The problem I've had so far is that it seems like the only recorders that have LINE-IN are those that are meant for much higher end recording (i.e. stereo at CD or higher quality) and are consequently much more expensive than I'd like to pay. I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible.

Is anyone already doing anything like this and if so have you found an ideal solution?

In my dream world I'd also love to have a device (perhaps additional) that could capture the serial output of the scanner so that I could record the alpha tags as well, but I realize I'm probably not going to find that.

ilgrant

There are digital voice recorders from Sony that will do recordings. Compactness is in the eye of the beholder.

I believe I have the Sony ICD-SX750D. It has a voice activated feature, a jack to plug the scanner in with a patch cord and the ability to run off AC power with an optional adapter (great for those overnight calls). If you get this model make sure you enable the HOLD feature after you start recording or it will stop after 15 minutes of inactivity (not documented).

I'm not sure what the line in would buy you unless your scanner has a line out. I don't recall if this recorder has a line-in or not...definitely has mic-in. You can view the manual on Sony's website and to see if it suits your purposes.

By the way...it's goes for around $150. I haven't found any for your price point.

k9rzz

Truck on down to the local Walmart and git yerself a little digital voice recorder.

0002724273907_215X215.jpg

Walmart.com: Sony ICD-BX700 Digital Voice Recorder: Audio

$35 and you've got yerself a VOX operated recorder with a MIC jack input. You'll need some kind of jumper for audio, but that's not hard to figure out. I've used several different kinds and they all worked great. I've recorded off my little hand held scanner by just rubber banding them together. Files are saved as .wav format so you can listen to them later.

flyingpylon

Thanks for the input! (pun not intended!)

I'm not sure why I thought I needed LINE-IN instead of MIC-IN, probably just assumed that because the signal from the scanner is already amplified. That, and because I always seem to over complicate things.

It's good to know that those inexpensive digital voice recorders will work. I will try to figure out which of the gazillion different models to get.

ilgrant

I did see the BX 700 and now I recall why I didn't get it (not that there is anything wrong with it.)

Criteria for selecting the model I purchased...

1. Be able to power off an AC adapter. This gives me the ability to monitor a period of hours or days. (great for unknown talkgroup usage)

2. Handle stereo input so the option is available to connect 2 scanners to one recorder. ( haven't tried it yet, though.)

3. Ability to pull files off the recorder on to a computer for later listening.

4. Voice activated recording

Hope this helps others considering the purchase of a digital recorder.

Don_Burke

I did see the BX 700 and now I recall why I didn't get it (not that there is anything wrong with it.)

Criteria for selecting the model I purchased...

1. Be able to power off an AC adapter. This gives me the ability to monitor a period of hours or days. (great for unknown talkgroup usage)

2. Handle stereo input so the option is available to connect 2 scanners to one recorder. ( haven't tried it yet, though.)

3. Ability to pull files off the recorder on to a computer for later listening.

4. Voice activated recording

Hope this helps others considering the purchase of a digital recorder.

My Olympus DS-2 could be modified for a power adapter pretty easily.

The rest of your requirements it meets right out of the box.

There is a newer version with more memory out there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.