Portable Scanner GPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

What?
Premium Subscriber
So I have a 396-XT. It does "Location based" scanning, which is great for travelling. What I don't like is having to have all the wires (cig plug, plug to scanner adaptor, to scanner, etc.) in place before it will operate properly.

Questions;

(1) is there an easier way, IE; a smaller, "portable" GPS receiver that could mount on the body or possibly inside the scanner that will do this, without the need for an external power source such as cig. lighter or adaptor?

(2) Why hasn't a scanner manufacturer made a portable scanner with a built-in GPS receiver? (Even the smallest cell phones have them, so space or interference shouldn't be a factor that would be too difficult to overcome.

Is there any hope for this, or am I forever stuck plugging and unplugging a portable scanner into the vehicle GPS each time I want to take it with me in a different area?

And I am not interested in manually selecting "scan banks" or other, I am interested in the location based GPS scanning, like it is designed.

Thank you in advance for replies

Jay911

Feed Provider
To answer your first question.. yes and no. There's no known device that's small enough to be attached to the radio or installed within it. However, you can use a small(ish) handheld GPS to provide the data to the radio - you're still looking at at least a half-dozen feet of cable to connect the two, though. What you want is a GPS device that has serial (non-USB) output. It must support the NMEA 0183 standard. The newest GPS devices out there are mostly exclusively USB, but I found a small handful on Garmin's website which seem to have serial out.

To answer question number 2, that's something I have asked a few times with the rollout of the HP1 and the x36 radios. If my phone can have an internal GPS, and my SPOT device (about half the size of a 396) can have a GPS, and my VX-8 ham radio (again, smaller than the 396) can have a GPS, one would think that Uniden could build in a GPS. I suspect the concern is battery life. My 436 lasts about 8 hours of continuous use with the full DB and several favorites lists enabled. If a GPS receiver was drawing power from the batteries as well, you'd probably see battery life time of half to two-thirds that.

What would really be nice is if someone could make a little module with a very short cable that you could plug into the GPS jack on the x36/x96 radios, and had its own battery pack. Something similar to the GreenLightLabs GPS-710 module used with Kenwood D710 ham radios. The GPS-710 draws a tiny amount of power from the cable used to power the control head of the ham radio, and passes its GPS data through to the radio. If someone could make something like this, powered by either a single AAA or a watch battery, with a ~3" cable to connect to the GPS jack on the Uniden handheld radio, I feel confident they would sell millions of them.

RRR

What?
Premium Subscriber
Maybe if they could put a USB port on top of the scanner and design a USB plug-in device same size as a thumb drive to go into it, that would help. ...That I, if they continue to refuse to install one internally.

Battery life is relative, there are so many factors, and different types of batteries and even adding a battery or something could be a solution....

Status
Not open for further replies.