Portable Scanner Stand for Mobiles & Handhelds (with external battery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRadio

So I'm thinking about making a scanner stand, similar to what Scanner Master sells for mobile scanners, but would have room to put a smallish 12v rechargeable gel cell battery the bottom for power (and weight to stabilize). I'm imagining something with a carry handle and rubbber feet (if metal).

I'd want it to hold an SDS200 and BC796D, on the inside and an SDS 100 , and maybe BCD396T (attached to the outside, to the right and left of the mobiles).

If anyone has any suggestions (or maybe has seen something designed that is similar) I'd appreciate the info.

Is there anything out there similar to the Spectrum Force Desk Mount stands? Those stands look well designed, I'm just not sure if I can make one work with a 12v battery in the bottom. I would also have to make/create a handle on top for transportation from room to room or house to car. Of course, I'd have to use rubber duck/back of set antennas, but 90% of what I'd want to monitor would be fine with smaller antennas. Of course, I've thought about doing an antenna multicoupler, but I want to keep it simple for now.

Would any of you that have the Spectrum Force stands mind posting a pic of how you set yours up?

My other option, is to skip the 12v battery and just use the wal-warts (or a 12v power supply, which I'd probably do initially), but that won't help when the power goes out in a storm.

Thanks for any info, tips and/or pics in advance!

Dave N9DAV

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
build it into a metal briefcase, two scanners on bottom, power supply and gel cel in the open top with bnc antenna mounts on the upper edge when open, rubber duck antennas, some foam for between the radios when closed and other various items as required, doesnt get any more portable than that. just grab and go, done.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
My other option, is to skip the 12v battery and just use the wal-warts (or a 12v power supply, which I'd probably do initially), but that won't help when the power goes out in a storm.

I use number of << THESE >> around the house. You can simply plug in your wall-wart and be good to go when the power goes out in a storm. These radios take so little juice that you would have quite literally HOURS of operation on backup power.

a417

U+0000

This post, this thread, this one as well, and some others scattered around here show how frequently this type of alternative power source / UPS question get addressed. There's lots of good information there, and most of it isn't scattering consumer grade APC units all over your residence.

MrRadio

Thanks guys. The briefcase idea is good, but I wanted a more “vertical” arrangement with a smaller footprint.

Basically along the lines of the solution that Scanner Master sells. I actually have a radio stack in my home office that is very similar in arrangement, but is a small 3 tier (shelf) wooden shelf. I think it was sold by IKEA (or the Container Store) as a shoe storage shelf.

I vaguely recall Galls (public safety catalog retailer) sold some stack mounts years ago. I haven’t seen anything from them in over 10 years.

For power, I think one of those small UPS units that Office Max/Depot puts on sale often for about $49 might be a good way to go using the AC adapters for now (unless I go with the gel cell battery idea, which I like, and would put on the “to do” list for down the road).

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
For power, I think one of those small UPS units that Office Max/Depot puts on sale often for about $49 might be a good way to go using the AC adapters for now (unless I go with the gel cell battery idea, which I like, and would put on the “to do” list for down the road).

Another nice (and obvious) thing about a UPS is that you can also use them for other things as well. For instance the one in my den, besides my scanner, has my Internet router, an RPi that needs to stay powered on and a lamp that uses a LED light bulb that takes a measly 4 watts of power. It came in very handy at night during the last major snowfall when power was out for 6 hours.

While I prefer the larger UPS models myself, I do have a smaller one << LIKE THIS >> under the headboard of my bed in the master bedroom that powers a clock, a radio, a couple of LED lamps and even charges my cell phone. Of course anything plugged into one is also protected from power spikes and low voltage situations as well.

Oh yeah, in the end, you might end up spending less overall for a UPS "that does the job and more" than for a seperate charge controller, battery, and assorted hardware to hook it all up, while being limited to one specific purpose. Cost effective and simple to Plug-N-Play.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Wow! I simply cannot imagine spending that kind of money for something that is not very practical for everyday use. No wonder it was not a big seller.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys. The briefcase idea is good, but I wanted a more “vertical” arrangement with a smaller footprint.

Basically along the lines of the solution that Scanner Master sells. I actually have a radio stack in my home office that is very similar in arrangement, but is a small 3 tier (shelf) wooden shelf. I think it was sold by IKEA (or the Container Store) as a shoe storage shelf.

I vaguely recall Galls (public safety catalog retailer) sold some stack mounts years ago. I haven’t seen anything from them in over 10 years.
What about this?

I have something similar to one Galls used to sell, I'll try to find it.

bob550

Premium Subscriber

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I had thought about building something similar when Scanner Master offered the device I referenced above. Life got in the way and the project was forgotten until I saw this thread. Rethinking and researching has led me to this: Rockville RRB40 4U Rack Bag Double-Sided Case with 12" Depth + Shoulder Strap

With the availability of custom rack mounts from this ebay seller: | eBay the project may get another look.

Not exactly cheap, but something that might be fun to design and build.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You can probably make something to fit your needs from materials at Menards, Home Depot or Lowes. I once did something similar, using a pair of 12V alarm batteries (sealed lead-acid). I put a BCT15 on the bottom, the two batteries mounted to the BCT15's top with Velcro, and then a second BCT15. Then I had a pair of 996XT's above that and a 4-port Stridsberg at the top, also mounted with Velcro. That allowed me to connect an antenna at the very top.

The radios were all connected with a single piece of 1-inch metal stock pre-drilled with 1/4 inch holes. They sell them at Menards etc. in 4 and 6-foot lengths, I just bent it into a U-shaped and trimmed the one side to fit. I used the regular Uniden-supplied mounting screws to attach the radios. I had the base of the "U" at the top wrapped with some double-sided velcro strap around it to make it a softer handle.

I had a cigar-lighter socket on the batteries, this allowed me to both tap it for power for something else and as a charger point for the batteries. I made a power harness for the 4 radios and the multicoupler.

I used this at a couple CARMA picnics and several airshows. Those batteries would last all weekend on a single charge with all 4 radios going. One year I added a dual-bander to the stack and still had no problem making it thru the whole day.

I did see pictures of someone using one of the Scanner Master 4-radio mounts who mounted a drawer pull handle to the top to make it easy to carry around but he used an external battery pack.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Using batteries, rather than a UPS, to power these radios would be much better. A UPS relies on internal batteries to power an inverter, thus producing 120v AC. This process, in itself, is not terribly efficient. Using a UPS to power a wall wart that reduces that 120v AC to 12v DC is also an inefficient process. Why not just provide the necessary 12v DC directly from a small SLA or LiFePO battery? The battery would provide power for much, much longer than the UPS, since the inverter in the UPS will be powered up whenever the mains power is lost, even if the actual draw is minimal.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
For me I'm not concerned with efficiency, I'm more into multiple use or bang for the buck. The UPS's can be used for other things besides the radios that draw very little. I can also keep my Internet router powered and a lamp and still get hours of use. Then there is no need to purchase a dedicated charger to keep a specific device running or mess with special hookup cables. In the end it all comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.