Portable Scanner Stand - March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

They say "necessity is the mother of invention". Recently I have been undertaking more portable scanning sessions with my Uniden UBC126AT radio scanner and as such had a need for a cheap and easy way to hold my UBC126AT radio scanner in a position where I could see the screen while using it. At home I have a mobile phone type mounting bracket screwed to a small piece of wood which I use on my bedside drawers for late night scanning of the bands and at my desk, most of my scanning of late has been portable, this required a different way to hold the scanner in the right position.

While looking in my shed recently I found some old computer case blanking plates for PCI slots, after playing around with these I have built something which holds my scanner in the right location, stops it falling over and didn't cost me anything to make.
Materials used were:
1 x PCI blanking plate
1m of "100 mile per hour" tape

I bent the blanking plate until I got the angle correct for my radio (this would vary for different radios due to size and weight), wrapped it in tape. Total build time was about 10 minutes.

Over the past few days I have been using this, it is small enough to fit in my radio go case for portable use and allows me to use my scanner at the correct angle. While this was designed for a radio scanner the same idea could be used for almost any handheld radio with a belt clip.

Photos: Launceston Scanning Guy: Portable Scanner Stand - March 2017

bharvey2

I have a PRO 668 that I listen to. I've found that the same desk stand that I purchased to hold my smart phone at my desk works like a charm fro my scanner too. The stands are 1/8" anodized aluminum and hold a phone or scanner at about 45 degree angle. I think I paid about $10 for two on Amazon. Not free but it works perfectly.

nc28478

Premium Subscriber
Metal book ends work great

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

Ham Radio Outlet sells portable radio stands as well.

There's the Desk-MT-Port-1/2/3 by Scanner Master (holds 1, 2, or 3 portable scanners or two-way radios), as well as the HT Desk Stand by Nifty. (Holds 1 portable scanner or two-way radio.)
They range in price from about $35 to about $60.

Metal book ends are probably cheaper if you can find them, though :)

John
Peoria, AZ

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
they were giving cell phone stands out at the college one day. no need for one, but free is free. i wish i would have grabbed more. they work PERFECT for a single handheld scanner. i use it for my 436hp. works GREAT. if they ever give them out again, i will grab a bunch. i bet we could find these cheap on ebay or amazon. i have not tried. i can post a pic later if anyone wants to try. could not be more than 2 or $3 i bet. cant see paying $60 for the scanner stands. they are nice, but the price is big for what they are.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Metal book ends work great

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
good idea. better if u can bend them so the scanner sits at a slight angle so u can see it better. books ends will be staight up and down. i think its a great idea though. i thought of the pic frame thing also. but, then i looked in my drawer and saw this cell phone stand. pic frames are at an angle AND you can adjust it by adjusting the pc frame stand on the back.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
good idea. better if u can bend them so the scanner sits at a slight angle so u can see it better. books ends will be staight up and down. i think its a great idea though. i thought of the pic frame thing also. but, then i looked in my drawer and saw this cell phone stand. pic frames are at an angle AND you can adjust it by adjusting the pc frame stand on the back.

I've used these, too. You can bend them to whatever angle you want and it works well. OK, well not whatever angle you want but anywhere between straight up and down (0 degrees) and like 30 or 40 degrees. Works well and most are of a size that they will hold two handheld scanners (or radios) side by side on each. Usually a pair is fairly cheap and together can typically hold up to 4 handheld scanners/radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.