Portable scanner with rooftop antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I am torn between a 500 and 600. 90% of my listening is at my desk so a 600 connected to a roof top antenna would work out well for me. The other option is a 500 connected to the roof top antenna but I am worried that connecting a hand held scanner to a roof top antenna might result in some overload. I have a 996 mounted in the car so I do not need this for mobile use but it is sometimes nice to bring the radio to other parts of the house.

Can anyone out there report on connecting a 500 (or other portable scanner) to an outdoor antenna and whether or not they have front end problems?

jb872033

I have a pro-85 into a Hustler DCL outside on my roof...no problems to report as of yet, and it has been suchf for about a year, when i first bought it...

JB

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I'd go with 600

N1GTL said:
I am torn between a 500 and 600. 90% of my listening is at my desk so a 600 connected to a roof top antenna would work out well for me. The other option is a 500 connected to the roof top antenna but I am worried that connecting a hand held scanner to a roof top antenna might result in some overload. I have a 996 mounted in the car so I do not need this for mobile use but it is sometimes nice to bring the radio to other parts of the house.

Can anyone out there report on connecting a 500 (or other portable scanner) to an outdoor antenna and whether or not they have front end problems?

If you spend all your time at a desk then go with the 600, I have a 500 and have tried several attic mounted antennas with it without a problem however it all depends on your location. I have no evidence the 500 is hotter than the 600 but from a desktop only setup then I'd go with a 600.

xpawel15x

I've been wondering this... would a desktop scanner with a roof top antenna actually receive more frequencies than a handheld scanner? Is this proven?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
xpawel15x said:
I've been wondering this... would a desktop scanner with a roof top antenna actually receive more frequencies than a handheld scanner? Is this proven?

There have been several threads on that topic. Do a search to find the answer (more or less).

Sownman

As far as I know there is no electronics difference between a 500 and a 600. In fact the 600 is a mobile unit as well, just not a hand held. Mounted in a car is mobile. I am using a 500 with a roof mounted discone. I'm very pleased with the reception. So pleased in fact I prefer my lounge chair home listening to distant neighborhoods vs. being in the neighborhoods with the stock rubber duckie.

My little antenna thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.