Portable tripod mounts for Yagi antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
Any recommendations on portable tripod mounts that can hold a Sirio Yagi antenna (118-137 Mhz). I would like a get a portable mount for when I go to different sites for airband monitoring.

Thanks for all the replies.

majoco

Stirrer
I have used a pushbike rack to hold a loop - very sturdy and folds down flat to put in the car. It's not a tripod though, it's a quadruped!
Bike rack 1sml.jpg!

prcguy

How high do you want to get the Yagi? I've had good success with PA speaker stands which usually go up about 6ft. They are stable and cheep. I got three of this model for about $14 each including shipping and it was probably a mistake in their ad but they honored the ad.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Any recommendations on portable tripod mounts that can hold a Sirio Yagi antenna (118-137 Mhz). I would like a get a portable mount for when I go to different sites for airband monitoring.

Thanks for all the replies.

I use a sturdy camera tripod; I've got a nylon strap which wraps around the top of the leg assembly to suspend a 10# weight (right down between the tripod legs) which adds stability, especially when it's windy. I also use it for portable magnetic loops. Works like a charm, folds up nice and portable, and you can use it as a camera tripod, too.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
In my home office I have a 9ft light stand with an 700-800MHz omni and a yagi on it, works great!

I should note it would not be very stable if extended all the way on a windy day unless you weight it down some.

Or use a under wheel antenna base/mount and some mast sections.

Or...

Build A Drive On Tilt Over Antenna Mount

N8FNR

Do not forget to bring a couple of sandbags and or a way to keep it from tipping from the wind. I always throw sandbags on mine.

Get some sand bags like these and fill them with gravel bought at a gardening store.

N4DJC

I have one made of PVC very compact and easy to transport. It would not stabilize a large antenna but could be upsized.

Status
Not open for further replies.