Portable Ultralight Radio Go Kit - May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Recently I have been looking at change / improving my Portable Ultralight Radio Go Kit. Until now I have used a few different cases and bags, some have worked really well, others have not been as great. What I enjoy is the challenge of trying different options, the experience I get from this allows me to continue improving my cases, hopefully finally finding the ultimate setup which works for me.

I was out doing some shopping recently when I called passed my local Bunnings store, here I found this new case for $30, I decided to replace my previous case as I found it was not working as well as I would have liked. My plan being to use my previous case for my work tools and use this new case for my Ultralight radio DXing kit.

I started off at home by sitting all my radios and other pieces of my DXing kit on the foam to see how they would all fit best. After this I cut the foam to suit and pulled out the required sections. Using this foam I decided that to fit in the most amount of radio gear, I would place my 3" FSL in sideways. To do this I had to remove all the foam from around this.

After getting my 3" FSL stored safely, I next moved on to cutting the required foam sections to store my radios, batteries, earphones, wire aerial and log sheets. This layout is about the most efficient use of the space that I could do.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store multiple radios, log sheets, pens, notes, spare batteries and ear phones, everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my back pack. For $30 it provides a great level of protection. Using the foam means that each item has a home and that they are well protected, it is also much lighter than my previous cases, meaning I will carry it with me more often. It really wins on the price v size v quality scale.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other radio storage need.

Photos: Portable Ultralight Radio Go Kit - May 2020

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I'd love to see it. I'm starting a similar project. Your blog photos are gone.

Hit_Factor

Premium Subscriber
When the IC-705 is released it will be the centerpiece of my go box. Although the box will probably be the Icom backpack stuffed with lithium batteries.

pb_lonny

Thanks for the feedback, no devils of late, with COVID-19, staying at home most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.