• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Portables, antennas and remote mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
Recently I’ve been (technically) “arguing with myself” about how to wear my comms gear while out in the field and basically decided to fall back onto a similar setup that I used in the Army (radio mounted to my plate carrier) and that got me to thinking; this is where I could use some much more experienced knowledge.

I would like to run a ‘remote’ mount for my portable’s antenna (I.e. wear the 5000 in a pouch on my back, run my coax through the molle loops and ‘mount’ the antenna up by my shoulder).

My worry here is, How much will I screw the concept of a ground plane by running the antenna remotely?

Do I need to compensate for the ground plane since I wouldn’t be using the radio’s chassis for that purpose?

Or am I possibly overthinking this and the remote mount won’t really affect the Tx/Rx?

Or (finally) would the back steel rifle plate (since I can’t exactly afford ceramics) act as a GP itself?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prcguy

Long before the popular military "TCI MAST" came out that allowed the Army guys to remote their MBITR whips on MOLLE straps, I did some research on the same subject using an MBITR with remote mount and a "tiger tail" style ground element. The results with a somewhat tuned ground radial were much better than without, and better range than just the stock antenna on the radio.

At the time I was trying to prove, which I did, that a recommendation of winding a bunch of coax center conductor through a military backpack or trauma plate carrier worked better than the stock antenna on the radio, which it did not.

Bottom line is you can easily remote your radio antenna with its SMA or TNC or whatever connector, wherever you want using a jumper cable with matching connectors and use a 1/4 wavelength long dangling counterpoise wire attached right at the antenna and cable junction. You won't harm the radio with no ground plane but you will loose some range without one.

If your lucky you can solder the counterpoise wire to a lug that will fit between the antenna and RF adapter and have the friction of the antenna connection hold the lug in place. Worse case you can tack solder the counterpoise wire to the last adapter or connector at the antenna and cover that junction with heat shrink. Your steel trauma plate will probably provide a good enough counterpoise if the antenna mounts right to it and you can get a good and short electrical connection to it.

Many years ago I made up several remote antenna mounts with different lengths of coax, some with RG-58 style and some with miniature RG-316 Teflon coax and sent them to guys deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan for their MBITRs and got great reports like "you should market this thing!" Their target frequencies were mostly in the 30 to 70MHz range where a ground plane for a hand held is more challenging. Then TCI developed their remote antenna thing which became the standard. Mine still works better because of the counterpoise wire.

Recently I’ve been (technically) “arguing with myself” about how to wear my comms gear while out in the field and basically decided to fall back onto a similar setup that I used in the Army (radio mounted to my plate carrier) and that got me to thinking; this is where I could use some much more experienced knowledge.

I would like to run a ‘remote’ mount for my portable’s antenna (I.e. wear the 5000 in a pouch on my back, run my coax through the molle loops and ‘mount’ the antenna up by my shoulder).

My worry here is, How much will I screw the concept of a ground plane by running the antenna remotely?

Do I need to compensate for the ground plane since I wouldn’t be using the radio’s chassis for that purpose?

Or am I possibly overthinking this and the remote mount won’t really affect the Tx/Rx?

Or (finally) would the back steel rifle plate (since I can’t exactly afford ceramics) act as a GP itself?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.