Portland 700 P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

I have this system in my scanner currently, yet I never hear any activity. Even on the simulcast 800 MHz TG's. Is this everyone else's experience with this system?

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
The only TGs that are really active at this time are fully encrypted. The ones that are linked to the 800 MHz are only active if someone with a P25 radio has selected that channel to monitor in their radio. As more radios get deployed and get used, the traffic should increase.

pdxrealtor

Premium Subscriber
Would it be a bad move to buy a new scanner that is not p25 capable if planning to monitor Multnomah, Wash., and Clackamas counties?

Otto

Well, currently you do not need a digital scanner to monitor those systems. And it may stay that way for a few more years. ( in fact you can monitor Clackamas with a conventional scanner or a Baofeng/wouxoun/ CCR On the VHF side since its patched to the TRS. )
But as the industry is moving, they will all eventually be digital at some point. The previous posters concern lies with the capabilities of today's digital scanners ability to decode the data. In theory, the scanners abilities should improve in the years to come, so waiting until you NEED a digital scanner, might be better.

Unless you're me, and just blew the money on a phase II capable scanner that I really did not need for this area just to "have it", haha.

Last edited:

pdxrealtor

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at a home control. Then saw the home control 2, then saw the hand held version with GPS.

I have a BC 346 That all of a sudden needs reprogrammed and I'm really not into it. A new scanner sounds so much more fun!

Decisions.....

Otto

I recently bought the Homepatrol II, and it's very different from any scanner I have ever owned. ( been listening since the late 1980's and own a small selection from every era since)

I'm my opinion, the Homepatrol I would work fine for the metro area since there really are no phase Ii TDMA systems in use here, yet.

What do you need to reprogram on the 346? The narrow banding for Clackamas? I rebanded my 246, and it was kind of a pain, and took several tries before I actually understood what I was doing.
You can get freescan software for free off the net, all you would need is a cable.

But you're right, a new radio if fun too.

For what it's worth, as a new listener to digital systems, I see quite a few limitations right away. The best way to describe it is to use a cell phone comparison. Back when analog cell phones where used, you never really lost the call, it just got static or scratchy. With newer digital phones, the conversation simply drops out when the signal is low. The same thing happens on digital radios. If your signal is weak, you're going to get garbled transmissions or nothing at all. If the signal is good, it's crystal clear.

Last edited:

pdxrealtor

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought the Homepatrol II, and it's very different from any scanner I have ever owned. ( been listening since the late 1980's and own a small selection from every era since)

I'm my opinion, the Homepatrol I would work fine for the metro area since there really are no phase Ii TDMA systems in use here, yet.

What do you need to reprogram on the 346? The narrow banding for Clackamas? I rebanded my 246, and it was kind of a pain, and took several tries before I actually understood what I was doing.
You can get freescan software for free off the net, all you would need is a cable.

But you're right, a new radio if fun too.

For what it's worth, as a new listener to digital systems, I see quite a few limitations right away. The best way to describe it is to use a cell phone comparison. Back when analog cell phones where used, you never really lost the call, it just got static or scratchy. With newer digital phones, the conversation simply drops out when the signal is low. The same thing happens on digital radios. If your signal is weak, you're going to get garbled transmissions or nothing at all. If the signal is good, it's crystal clear.

I had a 246 just before the 346, and I rebanded it. I don't remember the exact process, but I don't remember having problems either. The 346 has already been done.

Before that I had a trunk tracker that was made both for Uniden and for Radio Schack, I forget the model. It was the one you could take a part for the light/toggle switch mod. I used that one combined with computer software to pull pager data out of the air. Those were the days.

When I first got the 346 I paid for a subscription to the database, got the software you mention, used the cable, and really got down with the programming and organization of TG IDs. After the newness wore off I kind of just left it on Washington County because that's where I lived. Some of Clackamas was too far out, and same with Multnomah. Maybe it's just me but I also found Washington county to the most interesting to listen to. Not the most action per se but the most conversation amongst radio users.
I listened so much I new the night shift crews, sergeants, could match the voices to the names, etc..

Anyways.... it sat on 24/7 so I'm not sure where the debacle happened. Everything is still there but now the scanner starts up in quick scan modes AND I'm now in east Gresham/Troutdale so I'd like to re-do all the TG ID organization. There are so many features to weed through if one doesn't play with the thing every day it can get time consuming real quick. I figure the best way is to simply start over. Which of course leads me to........ the idea ......... hey! Why not buy a new radio.

So would you have been just as happy with the home patrol one, or is the HP 2 worth the money?

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
TG 703 has been very busy the past few days. Its PPB Service Desk/Records (11248 on 800MHz). Clear P25.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
TG 703 has been very busy the past few days. Its PPB Service Desk/Records (11248 on 800MHz). Clear P25.
I've heard that as well. I though that one of the agencies using the encrypted talk groups was switching over to the Service Net for running lags or something, but it does seem like it is active all the time.

- Chris

Otto

I've heard that as well. I though that one of the agencies using the encrypted talk groups was switching over to the Service Net for running lags or something, but it does seem like it is active all the time.

- Chris
From what I had been hearing on the radio on those days was a suicidal armed guy in north Portland, warrenting a SERT callout. I heard the SERT members telling one another to switch nets to XRAY ONE on the 800 system. I assume this is probably one of the encrypted channels on the 700 system. I'll bet they where switching back and forth between X1 and SVC net to run plates and stuff. Hence their radios where affiliated onto the 700 system, and SVC net was being broadcast on that system during that time.

boycesm

Hearing lots of traffic today on 525, 521, and 703 only dispatcher radio though everyone else is encrypted. Hopefully it doesnt stay like that forever.

boycesm

I was wondering that too sounds like they are having problems though. Since theyve already had to reboot once and sending 3 cars to calls each

boycesm

Im hearing east on 525 dispatcher UID is 700220 not sure what 527 is Dispatcher ID is 700221 though

Status
Not open for further replies.