Portland, Oregon Multnomah County

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
Does Any know why in the past couple of weeks Portland Police Bureau is using a intermittent tone beep every 10 seconds on Central, East, and North Dispatch Channels? I appears to have started the same time protests escalated in the city. Most of the communication related to the protests moved to the rapid response team that I believe use encrypted com. The tones I referred to above are annoying and of course stop the scanning cycle momentarily. Thanks for any information

marksmith

Those are standard tones used to alert users on the channel of a current event on the channel. If it is what I think it is it is just a beep every 10 seconds or so. This is to alert other users that something is taking place on the channel and to stand by non-emergency communications. This is often referred to as a 10-3 on the channel. All normal activity should cease until the incident is under control and the 10-3 is cancelled.

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input and I understand the procedure, however Portland Police will normally announce verbally, "All Non-Emergency traffic off the air" and sometimes use the tone in conjunction depending how long the incident takes to resolve. If the incident is resolved quickly dispatch will simply say "Returning to Normal Traffic" . What I am referring to is a little different, the tone is being broadcasts continuously every 10 seconds on several of the main dispatch channels for the past week. I am beginning to believe all three districts have moved to encrypted channels so the they can not be monitored by the out of town protesters that are here to cause trouble. ??? Just a guess. Sheriff and Fire that use the same P-25 system are communicating and operating normally.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Did you see this @dbjincorp

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm? I was suggesting they may have actually moved to another channel which is encrypted, such as TAC 1 which I a known encrypted channel..anyway, Thanks again for you thoughts.

dbjincorp

Member Since 2008
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.