Portland P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Reception trouble on 800 Portland System - Goat Mtn from Salem-Keizer area. I picked up nothing on other PTLD sites, including Skyline/ Counsel Crest or PCC sites - I'm trying to monitor only PF&R and PD. I only get sporadic contact on PF&R tap out channel, and 2-3 contacts on Multnomah County SO dispatch Channel. Sometimes I see a talk group display with no audio then it disappears. -THATS IT. Most of the RX is inside the house with a back of set antenna. When I use my roof mount Yagi (with LMR400 cable) aimed N/ NE, I get nothing, however there strength meter shows 2-3 bars. FYI full strength reception on the state 800 OSRP system in W. Salem site and Salem's new P25 system.

Equipment ;
Uniden BCD996P2 with 2015 software (came loaded in it)
GRE Super Amp 3001 (used it inline 2' from the scanner.) hardly ever use it.
YAGI 800-900 Beam Antenna

What am I doing wrong? Maybe move the antenna slightly?, Try to upgrade the scanner software? New Omni Directional antenna?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I don’t think much traffic gets passed on the Goat Mtn site. I’d focus on receiving either the West or East simulcast sites. You’ll likely need the yagi for those. I can get a good decode on the Salem p25 system from SW Portland using a yagi. All PPD channels are encrypted now by the way.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Don't know how your reception was before, but you are aware that PPB encrypted after they found that the rioters were monitoring dispatch. While their tac channels were always encrypted, they moved dispatch to those. Was said to be temporary, but word is they will be permanent and move back to orig TGs. If it is a reception issue (all of the sudden) that's another thing entirely. MCSO is not encrypted. Some back channels such as "Service Desk" is not. But PPB has been for some time now sadly. Rioters were using their phones with Scanner Aps to pick them up.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
I moved the my 996P2 three miles north at Keizer and Goat Mtn site is stronger, but still only get Fire Tap out, and Mult Co. SO. Dispatch. My main interest is listening to Fire and EMS, and PDX Fire. USFS, ODOT. I wonder if a G4/5 Unication vs. a SDS100/200 would be better down here in Salem.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I moved the my 996P2 three miles north at Keizer and Goat Mtn site is stronger, but still only get Fire Tap out, and Mult Co. SO. Dispatch. My main interest is listening to Fire and EMS, and PDX Fire. USFS, ODOT. I wonder if a G4/5 Unication vs. a SDS100/200 would be better down here in Salem.

My Unication G5 is definitely more sensitive than my SDS200 or SDS100. It can get a good decode on the SW 7 County Benton Simulcast site from my home in SW Portland using a yagi. On the same antenna the SDS can not decode that one at all. The SDS does decode Salem p25 using a yagi, but it’s intermittent. The G5 is solid for me on Salem. The only thing with the Unication, which is a very good and rugged little unit, is it only scans one system at a time. Nor will it scan a p25 system and conventional channels at the same time. It’s a one trick pony. But it does that one trick very well. The SDS are far more versatile. Excellent for a local simulcast system, OK for analog conventional, can scan multiple systems simultaneously, including trunked and conventional like your 996 does. It also carries the entire RR US database on its SD card so it’s great for travel. But it may or may not work for you for Portland West Simulcast. I would think you’d have a good shot at it though, since one of the towers for West Simulcast is on Council Crest at about 1100’ plus maybe 400’ for the tower, and it has a pretty good view to the south.
Here’s a heat map for Council Crest:

Attachments

• BA056354-5413-46B5-9C87-9383CE908473.png
    BA056354-5413-46B5-9C87-9383CE908473.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.