Portland Police Radio ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Just curious if anyone can help me shed some light on the unit id numbers that Portland Police use. I understand that the three digit unit numbers correspond with the beat assigned (635, 989, etc.). I am also pretty sure that 36XX or 37XX are Sergeants.

But I often her other units using 17XX or 19XX. Some I can tell are traffic units because you can hear that he is speaking into a boom mike while riding a motorcycle.
Tonite I heard units using 92XX and 99XX at a shooting in N Portland.

A list of the different unit numbers would be great if someone can point me in that direction, that would be wonderful. Google does not seem too useful in my quest.

Thanks in advance.

DickH

... Tonite I heard units using 92XX and 99XX at a shooting in N Portland.

I never listen to the cops, but I can give you an educated guess about the 99 numbers. At incidents of this nature, Portland Fire & Rescue provides medical support to the PD. The unit is Rescue 99. The firefighters manning R99 are specially trained and uniformed.

Rescue 99 at an incident.
p1000620219-4.jpg

Rescue 99 Member.
p780629483-4.jpg

Last edited:

Otto

I never listen to the cops, but I can give you an educated guess about the 99 numbers. At incidents of this nature, Portland Fire & Rescue provides medical support to the PD. The unit is Rescue 99. The firefighters manning R99 are specially trained and uniformed.

Thanks for that bit of information about R99, but I am pretty sure the 92XX and 99XX units where Police. They where calling the shots, ordering around manpower, etc. as in assigning 3XXX units and such.

I see that MikePDX posted the Wiki link. Thanks! that's kind of what I was looking for. I don't know why the search function around here did not pull that up.

So according to that list, the 9XXX units are Admin. That makes sense why they where running the show. Now, any difference between the 99XX and 92XX? as in does the second number correspond to something? (Like for instance, 99XX would be Captains or Commanders and 92XX would be Lt.'s etc.)

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
So according to that list, the 9XXX units are Admin. That makes sense why they where running the show. Now, any difference between the 99XX and 92XX? as in does the second number correspond to something? (Like for instance, 99XX would be Captains or Commanders and 92XX would be Lt.'s etc.)

9XXX units are "command officers" - that is, the Lieutenants, Captains, etc. I won't say you didn't hear a 92XX unit at the shooting, but it is highly unlikely. For the Sergeants (3XXX) and teh command offiers (9XXX), the hundreds district goes with their precinct. The map isn't the current one (anyone seen a recent version?) but the beat numbers are the same, even though there are only three precincts today.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber

The unit ID's in Portland represent "slots", so an officer working "595" one day could be "575" some other day. The command staff could be using the same system. They are assigned whatever slot is available at any given time. Were they just saying "9900" and "9200" or did they have other than 0's in the end?

Net-5

Some Basics

The 9XXX series are "command" meaning PPB lieutenants and up. So that is what the 9 at the beginning means. Next is the precinct assignment. So 98XX would a Central Precinct command officer, as the Central series (and districts) are 800's. Here's another example: 99XX - that's an East Precinct command, etc. The final two digits are individual designators for that particular person.

Basically the same thing for PPB sergeants, too. 3XXX are sergeants. 38XX is a Central sergeant. 35XX is a North sergeant, and so on.

Command numbers are individually assigned and remain with that person for as long at they are assigned to a particular precinct, unlike an officer that is assigned the district number of their assignment as their call sign, and is subject to day by day change depending on which district they get assigned to by their supervisor.

PPB Traffic call sign designators (1XXX) are like sergeants and command, except that Traffic numbers do change depending on area of assignment at the beginning of the shift. Traffic typically floats all over the city though, regardless of initial assignment, and can get confusing. A Traffic car might be 17XX (Traffic East Precinct). Now lets say that 17XX is the last traffic car out city-wide and a call comes to evaluate a DUII driver traffic stop made in deep SW Portland (in Central) by the district car there. The 17XX unit keeps it's East designation, even as it drifts over to Central net, or where ever else it goes for that shift, all over the city if necessary (because the demand for traffic units city wide is high and they are often called out of their assigned precinct). That is how you can hear an East traffic bike or car come up on some other precinct's TG responding to a call there, but keep it's radio ID as a unit from outside that precinct.

I was taught all this while a PPB reserve. Unless it has changed in the meantime it is still like this. And here's another tidbit... the PPB reserves has it's own version of "command" as well, with a reserve lieutenant, captain and the like. Oddly enough, reserve lieutenants and up get to use the same 9XXX command series call signs that the full-time PPB lieutenants and up also use. Sure pisses some of the regulars off! And I can understand why! Reserves are 700 series, so a reserve lieutenant and up would be 97XX.

Like it said in mikepdx's post above, look in the RR Wiki he linked to, and apply the information from my post to that information. That will give you the answer.

Happy scanning! :)

Last edited:

DickH

Thanks for that bit of information about R99, but I am pretty sure the 92XX and 99XX units where Police. ...

You are correct. I spoke with the OIC of Rescue 99 tonight. They use a fire talk group for their communications between members of their team. They very seldom have radio contact with police units. I didn't have time to ask, but apparently they just report in person to the PD Command Post.

pdx911

Dispatcher
A lot of the info on here is correct, but for almost every *XXX series there are multiple purposes. for example. 1701-1730 or so are traffic cops, but 1750-1790 or so are trimet officers. somewhere in the 17XX mess are the school police units too. its not possible at all for one set of a thousand to be classified under a single division.

uncledenny48

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; LS670 Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ok 9800 is the commander of central,9500/9600 commander north,9900 commander @ east. 9998 is the chief,1500-1600 traffic...1700's tri-met and some are gang and traffic...1800-1900's are normally traffic bikes.I believe 9820 is the commander of traffic. 8000 #s are for portland street crime units and school resource officers. Hopefully that sheds some light. (Former Amr dispatcher) denny.

Status
Not open for further replies.