Portland police talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhex

Is it just me or has anyone else heard humorous stuff on PPB Tactical talkgroups? Or does this just happen after midnight?

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Heck, I've heard it on the primary dispatch channels! What are you talking about, "after midnight." Hahaha. :)

Yesterday, I heard something that was funny - to me - while MCSO was doing SERT scenarios (training).

1st Officer: He wants to know what we'll do for him if he releases the hostages.

2nd Officer: Tell him we'll let him keep living.

I didn't know it was training until later in the day. I kept watching the news to see what was going on. Then I heard the 2nd officer say "10-79 from the scenario"

joe

mh34444

Things are more lax after midnight. Historically nightshift is made up of people that like the different lifestyle that comes with the odd hours, especially the atmosphere that comes with it. It also has a little to do with there being less "suits" monitoring the radio traffic after midnight. Same goes for the ambulance crews and occasionally the various fire departments, however the fire departments are a little more strict as to what traffic is broadcast over the radio.

For some entertaining after hours traffic, tune your radio dial to Gresham Tac 1, thats always a good one.

pdxbofh

oh man, I cant remember all of the funny stuff...

Here is one:
last year sometime, a NE officer arrived on a call - suspect ran - officer chased - called dispatch saying he was fighting - code 3 cover - about 20 seconds later -
Officer: "disregard cover, I'm code 4, one in custody, send medical - suspect has a bump on his head"
Dispatch: " is the suspect contious, alert and oriented?"
Officer: " uhhh.....unfortuanatly"

=======================

Also, I think it was SE - dont remember if it was on dispatch or a tac channel, but a female officer was referencing a person in a fight and said, "yea, he really got his ass kicked"

I'm sure I will think of more

DickH

mh34444 said:
... however the fire departments are a little more strict as to what traffic is broadcast over the radio.

Yes, once in a while there is a good one. Some time ago, somewhere in Clackamas county an engine company arriving at an accident reported, "Single vehicle, greasy side up".

Dick

mikepdx

On a certain un-named "discrete" talkgroup, around 0330 one morning,
I heard two officers shooting the breeze for at
least 45 minutes straight. Topics of conversation were:
Their lousy finances, rocky marriages, one of the officer's own
recent family disturbance, police response to said family disturbance,
and the outcome - and an offer by the one to the other, to come over
and "talk some sense" into his wife.

The whole conversation was peppered
generously with four-letter words.

They talked out the "gator" (time-out-timer) numerous times.
(I could hear the beep, then they'd instantly re-key up and continue).

I not sure I'd say it was exactly interesting or funny - perhaps a bit alarming.
I have no clue which agency they were with, but most definitely LE.
They should have used their Nextels.
Perhaps they do... now.

Michael KC7UPW
Corbett, OR

Last edited:

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
mh34444 said:
Things are more lax after midnight. Historically nightshift is made up of people that like the different lifestyle that comes with the odd hours, especially the atmosphere that comes with it. It also has a little to do with there being less "suits" monitoring the radio traffic after midnight. Same goes for the ambulance crews and occasionally the various fire departments, however the fire departments are a little more strict as to what traffic is broadcast over the radio.

For some entertaining after hours traffic, tune your radio dial to Gresham Tac 1, thats always a good one.

I don't have enough seniority to work graveyard :(

But... all the points are valid. The few times I do graveyard on OT, it is MUCH more relaxed.

Re: Gresham Tac 1... that's a good one almost any time of day.

Now that the 996 is my "primary" base scanner, I have relegated the 780 to scanning specific "special" talkgroups.....

Ops 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; SERT Tac 1; GPD Tac 1; Law 1 and Law 2.

It also came in handy for the fire at the cabinet shop on the Multnomah/Clackamas Co. line a few weeks ago. But I had the 246 going for that one, too. Too many channels to listen to :)

joe

amusement

I enjoy listening to graveyard. Alot of the bull seems to disappear.

If there are personal conversations on the radio ... I ignore them. It's important to know that these are people and should have a level of privacy.

It's cool that no one has mentioned any details about who was talking.

This is a very good thing. Let them, dispatchers, officers, fire and resuce have some level of privacy.

pdxbofh

a few nights ago on WCCCA, dispatcher was giving info to officers en route call of a male exposing himself ...

Dispatcher: "Suspect is wearing a blue shirt, tennis shoes, and occasionally, white shorts"

:D :D :D

Love the dry humor

Status
Not open for further replies.