Portland Rebanding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
New to the forum, but not new to scanners. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Currently, I have a BC785D and a Pro-97 handheld. At least a year ago, I quit being able to receive Portland police and fire on both scanners. At some point later, I figured out this was most likely due to rebanding. Without thoroughly researching what that meant and due to a general lack of free time, I relegated myself to listening in on mostly Washington Co and/or conventionally scanning halves (or less) of conversations in PDX. Now that I have the time and energy to pick things up - I realize (or have convinced myself) that I need a new scanner to monitor PDX public safety. I was checking out the databases listed on this site and was moderately concerned by this:

Portland Public Safety 700MHz P25 Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

Since there were no talkgroups listed that I seem to be interested in and I presume that all the traffic I am interested in - is on the original (rebanded) system. I have decided to purchase a BCD996XT. Then I read this:

http://forums.radioreference.com/or...5-looking-hand-held-scanner-trunktracker.html

Halfway down this thread there is a very recent post by Ensnared, that says "...If you are considering the purchase of a scanner capable of monitoring the Portland analog public safety system, you might consider the possibility of being left behind when they migrate to this system. Hence, you would have wasted your money. "

My concern is that I may be purchasing a scanner (BCD996XT) that is heading toward obsolescence. Is rebanding complete for Portland and the 996XT will be fine for the foreseeable future? Or is the P25 system listed going to be the wave of the future for Portland Public Safety and I will need a new scanner sometime soon?

DickH

New to the forum, but not new to scanners. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Currently, I have a BC785D and a Pro-97 handheld. At least a year ago, I quit being able to receive Portland police and fire on both scanners. At some point later, I figured out this was most likely due to rebanding. Without thoroughly researching what that meant and due to a general lack of free time, I relegated myself to listening in on mostly Washington Co and/or conventionally scanning halves (or less) of conversations in PDX. Now that I have the time and energy to pick things up - I realize (or have convinced myself) that I need a new scanner to monitor PDX public safety. I was checking out the databases listed on this site and was moderately concerned by this:

Portland Public Safety 700MHz P25 Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies

Since there were no talkgroups listed that I seem to be interested in and I presume that all the traffic I am interested in - is on the original (rebanded) system. I have decided to purchase a BCD996XT. Then I read this:

http://forums.radioreference.com/or...5-looking-hand-held-scanner-trunktracker.html

Halfway down this thread there is a very recent post by Ensnared, that says "...If you are considering the purchase of a scanner capable of monitoring the Portland analog public safety system, you might consider the possibility of being left behind when they migrate to this system. Hence, you would have wasted your money. "

My concern is that I may be purchasing a scanner (BCD996XT) that is heading toward obsolescence. Is rebanding complete for Portland and the 996XT will be fine for the foreseeable future? Or is the P25 system listed going to be the wave of the future for Portland Public Safety and I will need a new scanner sometime soon?

Portland was not affected by rebanding. You need only the 4 control channel freqs. to monitor the whole system.
The 700MHz system will not be used for several years and it may be P25 Phase II. Currently there are very few scanners that can receive Phase II, but Uniden is set to release some new ones that can handle it. Just be patient.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Portland was not affected by rebanding. You need only the 4 control channel freqs. to monitor the whole system.
The 700MHz system will not be used for several years and it may be P25 Phase II. Currently there are very few scanners that can receive Phase II, but Uniden is set to release some new ones that can handle it. Just be patient.

Seems like lots of people don't realize you don't need to put all of the control channels on the whole system to hear it. I learned my lesson awhile back.. I think there needs to be notice in each of the SmartZone databases that says, "Only use the backbone site control channels for scanning." or something like that.

DickH

Seems like lots of people don't realize you don't need to put all of the control channels on the whole system to hear it. I learned my lesson awhile back.. I think there needs to be notice in each of the SmartZone databases that says, "Only use the backbone site control channels for scanning." or something like that.

I think you mean "you don't need all the channels", not "you don't need all of the control channels" ...
You need all the control channels in case they change. Portland seldom changes, but some systems change daily.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I think you mean "you don't need all the channels", not "you don't need all of the control channels" ...
You need all the control channels in case they change. Portland seldom changes, but some systems change daily.

Well yeah, however it should be said. But it seems that every time someone is having trouble in this area, it's because they've added all of the control channels for every location listed, and that will always have consequences.

DickH

Well yeah, however it should be said. But it seems that every time someone is having trouble in this area, it's because they've added all of the control channels for every location listed, and that will always have consequences.

Oh, I didn't understand that you meant all the Intellirepeater site control channels too.

hillsbjp

Premium Subscriber

I have also noticed that my PRO-164 has trouble with that as well. I programmed the simulcasts and gap-fillers for WCCCA and CCOM. If something happens to my radio reception on the simulcast site, it switches to a distant site, and gets stuck there. Thinking about un-programming the extra sites because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.