Portland Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

Is there web sit that we can find out what the new 800mhz freqs are going to be for Portland metro area? or any 800mhz system in oregon?

thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Two steps:

1) Look up the system's FCC ID in the database here (click on the site name).
2) Use the lookup tool at www.800ta.org to see what the changes will be.

DickH

icom1020 said:
I'm going to wait to purchase any radio until I read more on this, here is a wiki site on rebanding
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

The WIKI site is a bit misleading. They talk about UNIDEN and RADIO SHACK scanners, but that is not a clear distinction because some RS scanners are made for them by Uniden and others are made by GRE. So the distinction should be Uniden and GRE.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
DickH said:
The WIKI site is a bit misleading. They talk about UNIDEN and RADIO SHACK scanners, but that is not a clear distinction because some RS scanners are made for them by Uniden and others are made by GRE. So the distinction should be Uniden and GRE.

It IS a wiki, so why don't you sign in and change it?

Some of the radios are being reprogrammed starting Q4 (thats this month), but the city is doing it in stages, and it will probably take between 6 and 9 months to get all 8,000 subscriber units.

scootz

Premium Subscriber
And that I don't think includes all of the outside radios from Clackamas, Washington, and Clark counties either.

Going to be a long, tedious process. Going to be a lot of coordination between all of the agencies to go through this process.

It will be fun for all :lol:

Baker845

Are they reprograming moble,portables and repeters? Do they have to replace any? Im not up to speed on how Motorola 800 mhz radios work?.

thanks

Last edited:

DickH

Baker845 said:
Are they reprograming moble,portables and repeters? Do they have to replace any? Im not up to speed on how Motorola 800 mhz radios work?.

thanks

Every radio is affected. If it can't be re-programmed, it will be replaced.

MrBarbecue

Given the time frame mentioned above about the change-over, do you suppose that PDX will be using both systems until they have completed the change-over? I can't imagine having a portion of the rebanding efforts being used early on, while other agencies are still waiting to re-band their operations. Any thoughts on this? Inside information?
Also---has anyone heard anything about re-banding in Salem yet?
Thanks!

N

N_Jay

MrBarbecue said:
Given the time frame mentioned above about the change-over, do you suppose that PDX will be using both systems until they have completed the change-over? I can't imagine having a portion of the rebanding efforts being used early on, while other agencies are still waiting to re-band their operations. Any thoughts on this? Inside information?
Also---has anyone heard anything about re-banding in Salem yet?
Thanks!
If the rebanding is done right it is fairly transparent to the users beyond bring their radio in for reprogramming or replacement.

DickH

MrBarbecue said:
---has anyone heard anything about re-banding in Salem yet?
Thanks!

All 800MHz trunked systems in Oregon are (or should be) following the same schedule. Phase 1, 0-120 channel reconfiguration, was to have been completed by July 1, 2006.
That involved moving 0-120 freqs. (851-854) to 854 to 860. That has been completed in Portland.
Phase 2 involves moving all the 866-869 freqs. down by 15MHz. That can only start after everyone has moved off the 851-854 freqs.
A search of 851-854 reveals signals still present there as of yesterday, 10-15-06.
Phase 2 is scheduled to run from July 1, 2006 to Dec. 31, 2008.

N

N_Jay

DickH said:
All 800MHz trunked systems in Oregon are (or should be) following the same schedule. Phase 1, 0-120 channel reconfiguration, was to have been completed by July 1, 2006.
That involved moving 0-120 freqs. (851-854) to 854 to 860. That has been completed in Portland.
Phase 2 involves moving all the 866-869 freqs. down by 15MHz. That can only start after everyone has moved off the 851-854 freqs.
A search of 851-854 reveals signals still present there as of yesterday, 10-15-06.
Phase 2 is scheduled to run from July 1, 2006 to Dec. 31, 2008.

The schedule given by the TA is one thing.

The schedule developed by whoever is rebanding the system is another.

It's not like the TA, the FCC, or Nextel is doing the rebanding!

DickH

guus24 said:
Is clark county going to reband on oregon schedule or on the washington schedule?

It is not clear if they will or not, but it would make sense to do it now along with the 3 nearby counties in Oregon. But you know how some people procrastinate. :)

N

N_Jay

guus24 said:
Is clark county going to reband on oregon schedule or on the washington schedule?

Washington is part in wave 2 and part in wave 4.

K7AAY

Wiki spawns new questions

icom1020 said:
I'm going to wait to purchase any radio until I read more on this, here is a wiki site on rebanding
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

That WIKI suggests many RS systems (those made by GRE) won't properly receive Motorola systems because of the reduced channel spacing. Since Portland has a Moto system, this suggests Uniden-made scanners are the way to go as halving the channel bandwidth was said to be a problem for GRE-made RS scanners. Is this accurate?

73s and best regards

Last edited:

DickH

K7AAY said:
That WIKI suggests many RS systems (those made by GRE) won't properly receive Motorola systems because of the reduced channel spacing. Since Portland has a Moto system, this suggests Uniden-made scanners are the way to go as halving the channel bandwidth was said to be a problem for GRE-made RS scanners. Is this accurate?
73s and best regards

Keep in mind that WIKI can have info. added to it by anyone. I take some of what I read there without much credence.

Status
Not open for further replies.