Portsmouth STARS Motobridge Installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi Folks,

Last night after 2200 I began hearing testing on the Portsmouth TRS's talkgroup Fire 5 that was something like this

"STARSx from inside the tunnel"

"STARS 5 loud and clear. 1-2-3-4-5"

I finally fell out at about 2330 and it was still going on then.

I wonder if the Motobridge for P-Town has been installed and maybe the STARS rollout is back on?

de
chris
kq4z

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Morning Chris,

Interesting, maybe Portsmouth's patch into STARS. Guess I'll keep a scanner on their system for a while. Thanks for the report.

K9DUO

I work in the Norfolk EOC, and we had some guys down there tonight and last night doing testing at various spots in the tunnel. They were indeed calling themselves by "Stars" numbers. They must be doing some testing for the State Police Stars system that will be going online soon.

focusthis

Norfolk tonight

"STARS 6" testing on Norfolk Fire TAC 5 from 10p - ?

Anyone know where they are? "location 81" "location 82" .....

Also, please explain to a n00b why I'm hearing this on an analog system? Is it for the interoperability of the radio systems?

Thanks all.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi KBB,

I copied this traffic last night. I did not bother to check the talkgroups that were in use.

Focusthis,

I think it is just "range testing" in preparation for the STARS rollout here in Hampton Roads. STARS has the ability to link to any system in the Commonwealth and my guess is they are doing some quality testing. The locations you refer to I imagine are tunnels.

hth

de
chris
kq4z

John

Premium Subscriber
Stars linking

STARS has the capability to link to any system in the Commonwealth? Not that I know of... they do have plans to install Motobridge or some similar technology throughout the state but so far these are mostly being pursued as local interoperability grant programs. I know the one planned for here will hardly include every system. It will be up to each local system operator what resources they are willing to share on STARS. STARS by itself has no capability (or legal right) to connect to anyone else's system.

John

portsmouth

Stars

Hi Everyone.

Well, there is always one guy who thinks he knows it all.

In this case that is me.
You were hearing the new repeaters in the Midtown and Downtown tunnels.

Without trying to explain it all on this posting, one our two of you send me an email at
rotzj@portsmouthva.gov. I will send you the word document which is still in the drafting stages but it pretty well explains everything on how the repeaters will work.
Then one of you can figure out what you want to post.

Thanks. Joe in Portsmouth.

W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.