Posey County Going NXDN...Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin82

link to this media?
Also any one that IS hearing traffic please confirm is what listed in the RR correct? Including lcn?
Still here in EVV we still cant hear any traffic.
I would like to see a link to this media as well.

It's working fine for me using DSDPlus, but my TRX-2 is a hit and miss. The past few days I was hearing both sides of the conversation but this morning I'm only hearing the dispatch side of things on digital. On analog I'm hearing both sides of the traffic. Sure hope it's not gonna be dispatch side only from now on for digital.

A note on the TRX-2 scanner, for some reason it will only work on the jail freq "158.8425" if you change it to "158.8350". I've tried everything even resetting the scanner, it will get full signal bars for "8425" but no voice until you change the freq to "8350", must be some kind of flaw for the TRX-2 because my other scanners work correctly on "8425".

I will say Lawrence County must have a strong output, a few days ago I temporarily set my antenna outside to get the Poseyville site better on "154.7325 CC" using a tapped scanner/DSD+, but instead I was hearing "Lawrence Fire Disp RAN:50" dispatching something to Mitchell Indiana FD.

ramblin82

I prefer scanners as they are more sensitive than SDR dongles. Used to have a BCD536HP and really regret selling it so I could get the TRX-2. My tapped BCTX15 quit powering on for some reason. The scanner models I'm using are as follows,

1. TRX-2 --- It works but is a hit and miss on Posey digital traffic. The TRX-1/2 models don't follow NXDN control channels therefore I don't recommend them for Posey County. They are alright for the Safe-T system though as the do follow P25 control channels, but not good for simulcast.
2. BC898t --- It's disc/tapped and picks up site 1 scanning the freqs as conventional with DSD+ FL decoding audio. Also good for trunking the CC channel with DSD+ FL and using an SDR dongle for voice. Main problem is the older scanner can't decode the RAN so you it will get interference from other things.
3. NooElec NESDR Mini 2 without the 0.5ppm TCXO
4. NooElec NESDR Smart v4 with 0.5ppm TCXO and aluminum enclosure. (Never really used this one much yet.)

Had something strange popup on the 438-5 site yesterday but didn't have my SDR plugged in for voice (see attached snapshot). It came up as Ch 13568, freq 142.4000 which I never programmed that into DSD+.

Attachments

• 438-5_Posey.jpg
    438-5_Posey.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Jason Knowles,director of Posey Dispatch, stated in the Posey County News during the commissioner's meeting that July 15th is the target date for the system to go live. Cant find a link to the article but since this week's publication they are fired up over it.
I also need to know what folks are using to monitor. The TRX 1 isn't picking up anything at this point

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
50 measly watts and they buy into the delusion that this system will work in Point and along the Wabash. There go our taxes up and up. So much for P25 that was provided.
Can't wait until someone realizes how much this keeps costing us and calls attention to it.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Jeff, the TRX-1 is picking up traffic at EVV for some reason. Last month I heard the notorious flasher case that the staff jokingly blamed on 1 of their own.
And yes,like a Whistler it did sound submerged

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
I have to go in next week for a catheter and stent in the ticker so Im interested in how this thread goes next week. Someone will dig in and get to the bottom of this system.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Just a small update. Last night I finally did hear some unit responses. Heard 65-11 a few times as well as MV-8. Also still hearing fire and medic responses. I even heard some testing where the operator sounded a bit slap happy with a long hheeellllllloooooooo a few times.

ramblin82

Jason Knowles,director of Posey Dispatch, stated in the Posey County News during the commissioner's meeting that July 15th is the target date for the system to go live. Cant find a link to the article but since this week's publication they are fired up over it.
I also need to know what folks are using to monitor. The TRX 1 isn't picking up anything at this point
Thanks for the info. Here's my opinions on what would be best to monitor the system as long as they don't encrypt. The Whistler TRX-1/2 aren't recommended, atleast not by me.

1. BCD436HP/BCD536HP - With NXDN upgrade. (Probably best choice other than DSDPlus.)
2. SDS100/SDS200 - With NXDN upgrade. (Very expensive but is the best scanner out.)
3. Older scanner such as BC898t or BCT15X with "6.25, 7.5" step spacing and discriminator tap with DSDPlus FL (You can scan frequencies conventionally or combine scanner with an SDR dongle & use the scanner to monitor CC and dongle as voice following.
4. Or use two SDR dongles with DSDPlus FL (One dongle for CC, and other for voice following). SDR brands such as RTL-SDR blog, NooElec, & FlightAware.

However if they end up going encrypted then it's not worth spending money on any of this.

Last edited:

lviper

Premium Subscriber
If using the latest DSDplus FL then you can use one dongle. That's how I'm running right now using the rtl-sdr blog v3. I have a second dongle setup so I can listen from work through my vpn, again using dsd+ on a single dongle.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I agree with all this.
However if your in VAND county and want to hear I hold off, I know two of us are near Bosse high both of us had SDS scanner outside ant and cant hear Posey.Other guy near USI and not hearing much if anything.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. Here's my opinions on what would be best to monitor the system as long as they don't encrypt. The Whistler TRX-1/2 aren't recommended, atleast not by me.

1. BCD436HP/BCD536HP - With NXDN upgrade. (Probably best choice other than DSDPlus.)
2. SDS100/SDS200 - With NXDN upgrade. (Very expensive but is the best scanner out.)
3. Older scanner such as BC898t or BCT15X with "6.25, 7.5" step spacing and discriminator tap with DSDPlus FL (You can scan frequencies conventionally or combine scanner with an SDR dongle & use the scanner to monitor CC and dongle as voice following.
4. Or use two SDR dongles with DSDPlus FL (One dongle for CC, and other for voice following). SDR brands such as RTL-SDR blog, NooElec, & FlightAware.

However if they end up going encrypted then it's not worth spending money on any of this.

ramblin82

I need my 536 updated.
Upgrading the 536 is probably the best option. I noticed you mentioned a TRX-1, it should atleast be picking up something if programmed correctly. My TRX-2 picks up most of the traffic but still misses parts or cuts some conversations short. I programmed the freqs both as conventional and as a trunking system to see which works best.

Also on my TRX-2, I have programmed the 438-1 site twice as a trunking system on two separate scanlist and then switch to the scanlist that has the CC locked out everytime they rotate CC channels.

ramblin82

I was unaware that the BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 can now decode NXDN with a paid upgrade. I don't have one to test but if someone in Posey has one hopefully they will purchase the upgrade and post their test results here.

If they work on the system, then it's a slightly cheaper option than the 436/536 or SDS100/200.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
As to range, this system is designed for IN COUNTY coverage, thus making them an island... They need help outside the County, they have to get on the SAFE-T, or have it patched.

ramblin82

As to range, this system is designed for IN COUNTY coverage, thus making them an island... They need help outside the County, they have to get on the SAFE-T, or have it patched.
A few days ago I heard a unit asking for a radio check on SAFE-T and Posey dispatch replied that he was good. However I can't remember if it was a county unit or a local Mount Vernon unit. He told dispatch that he was just testing out his new portable.

Last edited:

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Heard Posey on SAFE T after the dispatch from state regarding the suicidal mother with a 11 month old child heading to Chicago last seen at I 64 and I 69 giving their acknowledgment regarding the dispatch on the TRX 1.
Apparently my Whistler isn't programmed to pick up the new frequencies on NXDN because I heard nothing on them yet

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Thats the problem. Poco EMS spends half their time in Evansville and at Gateway.
AMR called out Posey to assist on Mesker Park Drive with Vanderburgh County Sheriff's radio traffic communications between units.

All this money for a communications system to exclusively communicate among themselves.

ramblin82

Heard Posey on SAFE T after the dispatch from state regarding the suicidal mother with a 11 month old child heading to Chicago last seen at I 64 and I 69 giving their acknowledgment regarding the dispatch on the TRX 1.
Apparently my Whistler isn't programmed to pick up the new frequencies on NXDN because I heard nothing on them yet
Make sure you have the latest updates for your TRX-1 from whistler. If you don't mind could you go into your EZ Scan and save your current configuration to archive (zip) then PM it to me so I could take a look at your programming and try to help you out?

Latest version of EZ Scan programming software, CPU, and DSP: TRX-1 Scanner Downloads

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Just heard dispatch announce all fire and ems are to switch to the new trunking system as of 14:00 hours today. No tac channels will be used but all units should switch to the new system. Dispatch will remain on both systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.