Positive Train Control Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA3ATV

Feed Provider
Tom,

Good catch! That's ten more frequencies.

Thanks again,
Dan

PJH

Premium Subscriber
In addition, last I looked, PTC was still available on 900, 220, Protected Wifi, and BNSF has a track enforcement system for hy-rail working on lowband (45.16 or something like that comes to mind).

Last I recall seeing is that the FCC was not going to reallocate the 220 band for a railroad specific PTC control. frequencies still need to be coordinated with other existing 220 licenses on the same freq/band.

Amtrak is using ACESS in 900 on the NEC.

I'd wait a little longer before calling it "done".

Each transmitting wayside site still needs to be coordinated like any other radio site which may or may not receive its on FCC callsign. Typically the FCC lately has been given area authorizations with multiple locations, depending on how the application is submitted.

Our newer ones is the latter. One call, multiple freqs with locations for each service. Better tracking on our end on what is what. As licenses expire, this is the way we are going, logistically. Some that are legacy license's that have been around forever will be renewed the same way for the time being.

In my area, there is a PTC transmitting site every two miles, for over 800 miles. Each wayside signal is equipped.

If you look at the public ownership of PTC LLC, you will notice that KCS, FEC, UP, Amtrak, SCRX and a few of the other regionals are not owners or listed as part of.

Last edited:

TelcomJunkie

220 and UHF can be used in yards for RCL equipment, depending on the manufacture and may use repeaters so don't get confused if looking at FCC data in many locations.

RCL gear is also on 900mhz ISM. Generally, the only RCL you'll see in the FCC database are the ones on UHF. The 220Mhz gear is typically done on several pairs of nationwide AAR licensed frequencies and then coordinated/"licensed" by them. You'll see some oddballs licensed direct through the FCC, but that's more the exception than the standard.

TelcomJunkie

Most railroads (especially the west coast ones) will go and lice sense stuff themselves. In the past AAR use to do blanket licensees, but if you take sample licensees for the voice channels, the RR's are doing it themselves these days.

BNSF and UP are part of the 'PTC 220, LLC' group along with NS and CSX. The PTC 220 LLC is handling all frequency coordination among member roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.