possesion of 'scanner' at airport a federal offense: per police officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
In this time after 9/11 anything that might look suspicious will be cause for concern for the police/security officials. I was work an RFI problem at Newark a couple of years ago. I got stopped by a Port Authority official in the Port area taking spectrum analyzer measurements. I was in a US Government vehicle with US Government tags. My vehicle also had multiple antennas on it. He stop me for 10 minutes I missed several opportunities to DF on the source. I had, like everyday I was up there told the Port Authority shift commander and dispatcher where I would be through out the day. But still I was questioned.

During the same time period a contractor working for another FAA group was installing sensors on the airport's perimeter fencing. He was stopped and I had to go over to the location a vouch for him.

We both, as well as the other people working on the interference all had federally issued ID badges.

I was involved in another questioning by a NJ State trooper. Luckily I had talked to the trooper post commander in charge but he still insisted on checking my info.

Again if anyone looks just the slightest bit suspicious you can expect a visit from law enforcement. As for the use of a scanner on or near airport property, I think the officer was just reaching for an excuse to give you a warning. My advice would be to just "go with the flow" and leave the area when you are released.

garys

Premium Subscriber

You laugh. There was a woman on Long Island who was arrested for taking a picture of a decommissioned Huey helicopter on a pedestal at the entrance of an airport. The charges were eventually dismissed, but she has sued the county and several officials in the town where this happened. They originally were going to charge her with some sort of terroristic act.

Not to mention the number of train buffs that have been harassed or even arrested for taking pictures of trains while they were standing on public property.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
My god have times have changed. It's this terrorist mentality on all this idiots heads. There's a video on YouTube taken from a guy filming the weird murals over at KDEN. I wonder if airport security rent-a-cops stopped him too?

vstream02

last time i flew i had to turn on the radios to prove they worked. that was after that guy tried to bring bomb on board in a radio body.

i do all i can to avoid flying on airliners anymore. not worth the crap to get onboard.
and if i step on toes i will say it anyway. TSA is a joke. (and thats all i will say on that subject)
You're only hurting people that work at the airlines like me...The tsa treats crewmembers like dirt too...

elk2370bruce

You're only hurting people that work at the airlines like me...The tsa treats crewmembers like dirt too...

True. The TSA is an equal opportunity offender in many of the airports that I go through. Its not all that much better in airports in other countries. I travel with my scanner and two HT's most of the time and I've not been hassled. If I am questioned, I reply in a friendly manner and cooperate. No big deal. "Its not personal - only business".

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Spot on Bruce.
I don't take radios outside NA/Carib though to reduce the hassle potential. Hell, I can't understand what they are saying anyway...much less figure out a bandplan,

Now when I get my amateur license this will likely change.

szron

Premium Subscriber
Something to have in mind when you leave the civilization of North America...

In Europe (where I come from) a mere amateur license won't save you from the police which can legally arrest you and forfeit your equipment because they think you are listening to police/fire/ems/military. And don't bother trying to explain how you are a licensed ham. No police officer speaks English...

Proceed with caution and remember US law enforcement and justice system standards are much different than anywhere else in the world :)

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I always make sure my radio does not power up to the "FEDERAL" bank when traveling should they want me to turn it on. It gets swabbed at the most once a year.

lep

Interesting comments. Since the year 2000, I have flown from the USA to Europe more than 14 times through Paris (CDG) .[BTW there are people at the DL/AF gates for departing flights to USA with TSA lapel buttons] Often I have had a Uniden portable scanner in my briefcase and no one has said the slighted thing about it. My typical trip was connections to GVA on AF. I have never had any problem finding Swiss police who are fluent in English. Many EU countries utilize an agency known as EU Control for their ATC. As most know ENG is the official language of international aviation so there is plenty of opportunity to listen from my hotel room. Most controllers in the US speak ENG only, most outside the USA are multilingual.
In summary, this thread is mostly a non-issue IMHOP. Many TSA rules seem arbitrary but a thread on rr.com is not likely to make much difference, Travel with a scanner if you want but use common sense and you will likely to have no problem whatsoever. If you are a US or Canadian amateur radio licensee and travel to EU, get a CEPT license from your national IARU society, it is a passport sized official document with your photo and pages in the official languages of Treaty,

Status
Not open for further replies.