Possible 250D mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_10_92

I'm selling my 250d, and a possible buyer asked if the unit can be 'modded' to receive digital cellular. I told him I did not think it was possible OR wise to do so.

Just for my own information, is it possible? I don't want to sell it to someone who will get it modified to cause trouble or something illegal. Any insight or help would be great!

Thanks!

Josh

Yes it's illegal.

The cell-band is blocked as well and unlike older scanners (1994 era) it's not possible to bring it back either.

Finally, even if it could be tuned to the cell-band, IMBE digital, which is all the DC250d can decode is NOT the modulation scheme used by ANY cellular phone carrier.

You can tell your possible buyer that he's a dumb-ass, too. I know I would... besides, there's not much of anything interesting going on in phone conversations anyhow.

-Josh

Mick

Hello. As I understand it, cellphone frqs. uses a different type of digital, not the P25 digital which the BC250D can receive. The mod is not legal anyway.

maalox

I_10_92 said:
I'm selling my 250d, and a possible buyer asked if the unit can be 'modded' to receive digital cellular. I told him I did not think it was possible OR wise to do so.

Just for my own information, is it possible? I don't want to sell it to someone who will get it modified to cause trouble or something illegal. Any insight or help would be great!

Thanks!
sorry moderator i made a boo boo please delete since i can not.

I_10_92

Thats what I thought. He was insistant that he knew 'some guy' who could mod it to receive the cell band. I tried to explain to him that I didn't think it was possible because of the way cell phones work. I"d hate to see an excellent piece of equipment goto waste while someone tried. I'd rather keep the scanner and sell it to someoone who will use it the way it was intended.

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.