Possible bug in new HP-1 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
You are on to something here. Holding on the top bar kills scanning. I don't trust the second one entirely, either, but I could be wrong.

I have an ideal arrangement for testing or confirming any anomalies suspected among a certain small group of radios. I can run 4 radios at a time from a single antenna and report on the results of any testing that I might do.

If I temporarily, for testing purposes, setup 2 or more of my radios identically as to unlocked TRS's/TG's/Channel's etc., any differences in reception due to Tweeking a single radio, will show up instantly. This is due to my different radios being very well matched in their scanning/decoding abilities.

I have tried to duplicate the "Hold on the top bar" problem without success. Holding on the top bar, during an active transmission, or when all three bars are unlit (not highlighted in yellow) results in a continuation of well matched scanning compared to the other radios. At this time these "other" radios are a PSR-800 and a PSR-500.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned a "Motorola" TRS. Is this critical to the problem? Does the radio need to be scanning "other" TRS's at the same time as the one being tested? If so, does it also need to be a Motorola TRS? Would it make any difference if it was tested on an HP-1 or an HP-1 (E)?

Is a change of the CC by the TRS necessary to trigger the problem. If so, I'm not sure how often the TRS's in my area make such a change.

Nearly all of my radios are set up using multiple P-25 TRS's with nearly identical TRS's in each radio. This makes testing involving P-25 Systems very easy to perform. There is only one Motorola TRS that I have programmed into (at least a couple of) my radios.

If someone would give me VERY PRECISE instructions on how to setup my HP-1 for testing, I will try to match that set-up and report my results.

Like I mentioned earlier, using a single P-25 TRS (~8 departments, ~20 TG's) I can not get the HP-1 to stop scanning by holding on the top bar (turning it yellow). In my case (the testing so far) the radio is already holding on a single TRS, while scanning the Departments/TG's in that TRS. Tapping the top bar only turns it yellow, it is already "frozen" on that TRS.

Thanks
Rob

SDavis90

>>In an earlier post, someone mentioned a "Motorola" TRS. Is this critical to the problem? Does the radio need to be scanning "other" TRS's at the same time as the one being tested? If so, does it also need to be a Motorola TRS? Would it make any difference if it was tested on an HP-1 or an HP-1 (E)?

This is a Motorola Type II Smartnet Analog only system.

If the radio is sitting there and scanning, (including the TRS) there is no issue. It continues on working fine during the CC change on that system. The problem only presents itself while during the hold.

I have no idea how any other systems in the scan list will affect this. The other systems I could possibly program in (my area) don't receive well enough to be reliable to determine any affect - on this problem - of having more than one system in my scan list.

I do know for sure that the control channel change on the system is causing it to go quiet during system hold. The 396XT does fine during the same transition, and doesn't miss a beat.

This has only started happening after the last version update. The update was done step by step according to the usual instructions. (Mainly because I hate screwing things up by accident)

Those are good questions though. I wish I could contribute...

I am only able to report on what I'm seeing, because I feel like it needs to be addressed and (hopefully) corrected in the future.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
There appears to be an issue unavoiding as well - I select the talkgroup I want to listen to and a different one gets unavoided! I suppose I was expecting the scanner to still display the system so I could unlock a different talkgroup rather than going through multiple steps to do so, but I guess once there are no active talkgroups the scanner doesn't waste time cycling through the system...

OCO

I created a new Favorite, with 2 systems. I avoided all but one TG (channel) on one of the systems (trunked). Loaded the Favorite, set it up as the only one to use. Avoided the last TG (channel) and sure enough the scanning just showed the other system. I went into Menu-->Advanced Menu-->Avoid Options and unavoided one of the listed TGs and the system showed up in the scanning again.. Not sure if I was supposed to do something to the other system??

Adamr368:
I never heard back, but I couldn't duplicate it using your instructions...Also are you saying that you cannot do Menu-->Advanced Menu-->Avoid Options and see the avoided system? What were the systems that you used for the test?

SDavis90

Follow-up:

Checked HP-1E last night on holding a specific TGID during CC change. Works fine.

Seems to be doing it only in system hold.

Last edited:

t_shuffle

First, i just need to say that my comment about not trusting holding on the second bar (department) seems to be totally unfounded. It works just fine.

My weirdness is if I have multiple favorite lists on one system, and I hold on that system, it will only scan the list it was on, active or not, when I tapped the top bar.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Adamr368:
I never heard back, but I couldn't duplicate it using your instructions...Also are you saying that you cannot do Menu-->Advanced Menu-->Avoid Options and see the avoided system? What were the systems that you used for the test?

My apologies, this comment was intended as a response although I wasn't clear in that regard. "I suppose I was expecting the scanner to still display the system so I could unlock a different talkgroup rather than going through multiple steps to do so, but I guess once there are no active talkgroups the scanner doesn't waste time cycling through the system..."

I will say that I am trying to unavoid talkgroups and the one I select (no, I am not fat fingering the device) is not the one that becomes unavoided. I am also able to duplicate this on another unit without the extreme upgrade.

OCO

My apologies, this comment was intended as a response although I wasn't clear in that regard. "I suppose I was expecting the scanner to still display the system so I could unlock a different talkgroup rather than going through multiple steps to do so, but I guess once there are no active talkgroups the scanner doesn't waste time cycling through the system..."

I will say that I am trying to unavoid talkgroups and the one I select (no, I am not fat fingering the device) is not the one that becomes unavoided. I am also able to duplicate this on another unit without the extreme upgrade.

Still testing, can't duplicate the wrong avoid on my HP1.... Are you aware that rather than tapping Avoid on the side menus, that if you touch and hold Avoid for about 5 seconds, it gives you the "Review Avoid List"? I'm really curious about the "toggle" of a Avoided system/department/channel that is being held - I see that it is there and actually works for me, but I cannot find where Uniden documented that any place. :confused:

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
First, i just need to say that my comment about not trusting holding on the second bar (department) seems to be totally unfounded. It works just fine.

My weirdness is if I have multiple favorite lists on one system, and I hold on that system, it will only scan the list it was on, active or not, when I tapped the top bar.

Actually, I'm having a problem holding on department. I reach up and tap it during an active talkgroup and the scanner then goes silent in fairly short order while the 197 above it keeps talking. If I release the hold the scanner hears the active talkgroups again. It's repeatable.

SDavis90

Actually, I'm having a problem holding on department. I reach up and tap it during an active talkgroup and the scanner then goes silent in fairly short order while the 197 above it keeps talking. If I release the hold the scanner hears the active talkgroups again. It's repeatable.

While this is unfortunate, I'm glad someone else is having a similar problem as I am. It's a lonely feeling being the only one..

t_shuffle

I've still not been able to duplicate any problems while holding on a Department, but holding on a System continues to exhibit odd behavior.

For example: I have several lists created for one local system. One list is called Sheriff's Dept, and the other is called Citrus Heights Police. If I'm monitoring both lists, and I hold on the system while it's on my Sheriff's Dept. list, then choose Info from the menu on the right, I get this:

System Info

Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS)

You are monitoring a Motorola radio system. Trunked systems share a few frequencies amongst many users. A computer controls what frequency a user is assigned when they key up their radio. A trunked radio system can have many different departments and channels (for example, some trunked radio systems cover entire states).

This system has 1 departments and 59 total channels.

Doing the same thing while it's on Citrus Heights Police gets me this:

System Info

Sacramento Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS)

You are monitoring a Motorola radio system. Trunked systems share a few frequencies amongst many users. A computer controls what frequency a user is assigned when they key up their radio. A trunked radio system can have many different departments and channels (for example, some trunked radio systems cover entire states).

This system has 1 departments and 17 total channels.

OCO

I've still not been able to duplicate any problems while holding on a Department, but holding on a System continues to exhibit odd behavior.

For example: I have several lists created for one local system. One list is called Sheriff's Dept, and the other is called Citrus Heights Police. If I'm monitoring both lists, and I hold on the system while it's on my Sheriff's Dept. list, then choose Info from the menu on the right, I get this:

Doing the same thing while it's on Citrus Heights Police gets me this:

I don't see anything odd - it's showing the number of channels (talkgroups) for each department....

t_shuffle

I don't see anything odd - it's showing the number of channels (talkgroups) for each department....

What it's actually showing is the number of talk groups that I have in each of those Favorites Lists, while it's claiming to be displaying System Info, which one could logically assume to be system-wide.

rwier

Premium Subscriber
, while it's claiming to be displaying System Info, which one could logically assume to be system-wide.

I have several similar situations. I just checked and your "What it's actually showing is the number of talk groups that I have in each of those Favorites Lists" is exactly what I am seeing. That said, if it didn't "lie" (lol) to me, the info would be the same for both and basically meaningless/worthless.

OCO

OK, let's try again...
1: You are creating two separate Favorites (your "lists"??) from the same trunked system.
2: Nothing else exists in each Favorite other than the Department you have named.
3: You are pausing on one or the other Favorite and getting channel (talkgroup) count info from the System line.

Do you expect to see a count from the "Parent" version of that System from the main HPDB? I don't think that's what you'll get - the hP1 is going to look at each of the Favorites as an individual System, regardless of the origin...

Last edited:

rwier

Premium Subscriber
OK, let's try again...
1: You are creating two separate Favorites (your "lists"??) from the same trunked system.
2: Nothing else exists in each Favorite other than the Department you have named.
3: You are pausing on one or the other Favorite and getting channel (talkgroup) count info from the System line.

Do you expect to see a count from the "Parent" version of that System from the main HPDB? I don't think that's what you'll get - the hP1 is going to look at each of the Favorites as an individual System, regardless of the origin...

Definitely bad semantics on my part. Completely missed that. Looking at Sentinel:

Category: Favorites Lists
Favorite List: HOME 1
First System Name: PHOENIX POLICE
Second System Name: VALLEY RESCUE

Both of the above "Systems" are part of the RWC Multi-site Simulcast System. They are not (to my embarrassment) "FavLists" but are "Systems" (parts of the HOME 1 Favorite List).

Good catch OCO!!
Rob

OCO

Definitely bad semantics on my part. Completely missed that. Looking at Sentinel:

Category: Favorites Lists
Favorite List: HOME 1
First System Name: PHOENIX POLICE
Second System Name: VALLEY RESCUE

Both of the above "Systems" are part of the RWC Multi-site Simulcast System. They are not (to my embarrassment) "FavLists" but are "Systems" (parts of the HOME 1 Favorite List).

Good catch OCO!!
Rob

Can T_Shuffle confirm the conditions as listed?

Edit: Rob - I don't understand your hierarchy.. The SYSTEM would be RWC, the DEPARTMENT would be one of the multiple Phoenix PD departments listed. The CHANNEL would be one of the talkgroups listed.

Last edited:

t_shuffle

OK, let's try again...

Yes, by my lists, I mean Favorites Lists, and yes, they are both from the same trunked system. I actually have five built from just that one system (SRRCS), but I just used those two for the sake of brevity.

You are correct, sir.

Correct again.

Do you expect to see a count from the "Parent" version of that System from the main HPDB? I don't think that's what you'll get - the hP1 is going to look at each of the Favorites as an individual System, regardless of the origin..

Yes, I did sort of expect a screen titled "System Info" to display information about the system in question. Maybe this is unrealistic idealism on my part, or maybe it's a bug, I don't know. I just found it odd, and I figured this was the best active thread to mention it in.

Last edited:

OCO

Yes, by my lists, I mean Favorites Lists, and yes, they are both from the same trunked system. I actually have five on that system (SRRCS), but I just used those two for the sake of brevity.

You are correct, sir.

Correct again.

Yes, I did sort of expect a screen titled "System Info" to display information about the system in question. Maybe this is unrealistic idealism on my part, or maybe it's a bug, I don't know. I just found it odd, and I figured this was the best active thread to mention it in.

Not a bug as far as I can see - the HP1 treats those Favorites as independent original lists. It does not look at the Parent HPDB source they were derived from nor does the Favorite inherit metadata from the Parent. It would be really nice if it did work that way, so we could have auto updates of out Favorites :wink:..

Status
Not open for further replies.