Possible Dollywood NXDN Upgrade

surfacemount

Premium Subscriber
Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Not taking a side, and not having any recent intel...
I'd hate to have to engineer a rf solution for up there. Lots of terrain corrugation and multipath. I wonder how much fiber they have, and if it's underground, or on the poles, where the power and phone lines used to fail under medium snow load back in the 90's?

The bottoms would be pretty straightforward for this region, starr mountain and a couple of other spots on a voter, but, those hills...

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Not taking a side, and not having any recent intel...
I'd hate to have to engineer a rf solution for up there. Lots of terrain corrugation and multipath. I wonder how much fiber they have, and if it's underground, or on the poles, where the power and phone lines used to fail under medium snow load back in the 90's?

The bottoms would be pretty straightforward for this region, starr mountain and a couple of other spots on a voter, but, those hills...
Working in this area of Tennessee I can confirm East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, and Southwest Virginia is probably one of the most difficult areas to get decent radio reception. I wasn’t there for the Gatlinburg fires but some of my coworkers were. Whenever I ask them about the fires the first things that comes out of their mouths is nobody knew who was in charge and there was absolutely no radio communications. They eventually went analog VHF among each other on interop channels but never really talked to anyone else.

surfacemount

Premium Subscriber
Working in this area of Tennessee I can confirm East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, and Southwest Virginia is probably one of the most difficult areas to get decent radio reception. I wasn’t there for the Gatlinburg fires but some of my coworkers were. Whenever I ask them about the fires the first things that comes out of their mouths is nobody knew who was in charge and there was absolutely no radio communications. They eventually went analog VHF among each other on interop channels but never really talked to anyone else.
I know one of the air force cats that deployed there to set up some interop stuff in the hotel on top of the hill and provide connectivity in... their toc? I forget now. His description of things makes me wished he'd write a book; it literally was the perfect (LMR) storm...

medic9351301

i think we are getting off the topic of dollywood moving.
the theme was why do they need to move to a nexedge system if thats what the plans are . what will it accomplish if they move. other than giving the good ole boys of landair more money and encryption.
when i opened our theme park we were on the county mixed mode trunked systems . we had 5 or 6 talk groups that were in the clear and it worked great. if there was a emergency the security,ems,and admin were patched together during the main dispatch then after the call was dispatched unpatched.

surfacemount

Premium Subscriber
Answered in the second post.
It's not about making sense in Sevier County, never has. There is a group there that has always had a stranglehold on LMR. Looks like they are still giving TACN a run for their money. DW might need scada or some kind of RF-based short haul monitoring, or their stuff might be at EOL, or they may have gotten a grant. Tons of reasons, they all point to LandAir though

medic9351301

or they may have gotten a grant.
[/QUOTE]
dude, i can assure you that a private non public saftey corporation IS NOT GOING TO GET A GRANT . its hard enough for public saftey agencies to get one. i know several smaller departments that have applied and gotten rejected. It just pisses me off that people think that radio salesmen are god and know what they are talking about . i have listened to there lies and bs for over 20 years. my favorite lines "fcc now mandates encryption ".
"you get better coverage with dmr" . before my county went central 911 and were bought radios i help mantain a vhf repeater for 25 years.Never had issues at all. In fact is still up and mantained as a back up in case of issues . so dont tell me about eol and this new tech is better cause its not.