Possible radio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrak

I have a Motorola GP-68 and every time I transmit for more than 30 seconds the radio gets really hot, is this a problem and if it is what is wrong with the radio?

Astrak

It is the antenna that came with it. So no I'm not positive it is the correct antenna.

Astrak

Al42 said:
What temperature is "really hot"? Heat sinks in some small portables do get uncomfortably warm in normal operation.
Yea I would say uncomfortable warm, like burns to touch it. I was just wondering if this is normal operation for a 5 watt radio.

jim202

Some dumb person may have set the RF output of the radio up to the max. The only thing that this does is kill the battery faster and damage the TX amp PA module. You should have the radio checked and probably get the RF output lowered to the standard output wattage.

Jim

Astrak said:
Yea I would say uncomfortable warm, like burns to touch it. I was just wondering if this is normal operation for a 5 watt radio.

Al42

Astrak said:
If just touching it can raise a blister, it's much too hot. Take jim202's advice - have it checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.