Possible Roseville P25 find

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Could it be that Roseville may be going P25 as well? makes sense with placer county doing it on VHF.
They appear to be looking for someone who can advise them on the best direction to go. A vendor would not be responding to one of these RFQ's. It's totally possible that proposals will come from companies that prefer a specific vendor. Based on what Roseville wants it will no doubt be a P25 trunked system.

mkewman

It's interesting, Roseville is sorta between a rock and a hard place. Their own county is VHF, and going to a P25 Trunked system... their big neighbor (Sacramento) is 800 trunked, and going to a 800 P25 system. It leaves them with 3 options:

1a- Stay with 800 and go P25 Trunked. The issue with that is that once you get outside of Roseville (in Placer County) you're going to lose coverage. Therefore you cannot easily assist with a Mutual Aid situation in Placer County, however you can help in Sacramento, as your radio will be compatible with their system. Pros: You don't have to replace your antennas in your cars since they're already 800 mhz, so you save some money there. Cons: you're building your own p25 trunked system... that's expensive.

1b- Stay with 800 and go P25 Trunked, basically same as above but get APX7000 multiband radios... Which are MASSIVELY EXPENSIVE. We're talking $7,000 per Public Safety user. Plus the cost of upgrading your infrastructure to P25 Trunked. Personally, I'm not sure that the usually conservative Placer County taxpayers are willing to pay that much.

2-Join Placer County's VHF P25 Trunked System. I think this is the best solution personally. I don't know how often Roseville assists with Sacramento compared to Placer County, but I'd venture a guess that they assist Rocklin (who is VHF and will be on the P25 system, at least patched/simulcast) and Placer County more often. You'll have to pay per subscriber (usually how it goes when you join someone else's system) and you have to pay for new radios AND new antennas, however it's easier to contact CHP, surrounding county agencies and you're not paying for as much of the infrastructure... the county is.

I just hope that Roseville doesn't fall into the trap that Oakland did and go with a low ball offer from Harris, regret it and end up with a useless system and (eventually) joining a regional system after wasting all that money.

norcaljpa

City of Roseville is already 800 trunking, and the majority of their subscribers are 7/800 only, so they already have to interop with other-band agencies via other means. In addition, a number of their existing subscribers are already P25 trunking ready or capable. Purchasing multiband portables would make available additional interop abilities, and also prepare them for the 2017 ultranarrowband mandate.

Both Roseville and Sacramento interop with each other on a regular basis and both have each others systems programmed in their subscribers.

The notion that they would pay list price for new radios is also unlikely. There would likely be discounts and contract pricing established, especially if they purchase an upgrade to their existing system.

Given that they already have a Motorola system, the path of least resistance for an upgrade or replacement would also be Motorola.

Sac916

I think the trend will be P25 systems sharing system keys - From the Bay to Sac. There are other ways of connecting systems together without changing car/handheld radios.

Sent from my Android via Tapatalk app

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
1b- Stay with 800 and go P25 Trunked, basically same as above but get APX7000 multiband radios... Which are MASSIVELY EXPENSIVE. We're talking $7,000 per Public Safety user. Plus the cost of upgrading your infrastructure to P25 Trunked. Personally, I'm not sure that the usually conservative Placer County taxpayers are willing to pay that much.

We buy all APX7000 and APX7500 and aren't even close to $7000 per subscriber. That's way inflated.

Status
Not open for further replies.