Possible Security Breach of email addresses and passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
So is the problem only for people who have used the mobile version of RR?

No, the mobile version of RR was the attack vector... they used a vulnerability there to walk through the user database and pull email addresses and encrypted passwords because of a bug. It was fixed in July, but they had enough time to pull about 25% of the user accounts on the site.

prcguy

Interesting, thanks. If you know how many were affected is there a way to know who is affected?

No, the mobile version of RR was the attack vector... they used a vulnerability there to walk through the user database and pull email addresses and encrypted passwords because of a bug. It was fixed in July, but they had enough time to pull about 25% of the user accounts on the site.

K7MFC

WRAA720
The attacker was then able to decrypt the passwords by using MD5+salt rainbow tables.

Can you elaborate on this? How did you make the determination this was the method used by the attacker to decrypt the passwords?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Can you elaborate on this? How did you make the determination this was the method used by the attacker to decrypt the passwords?
Usually the salt is something the admin provides, not the developer, so I'm confused. Unless, of course a default salt was used.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
In reviewing the logs we believe we had rolled out a fix in July which closed the vulnerability right around when the attacker was at about 25% mark for user accounts, but we're going to assume that anyone's account could have been compromised. That's all I can really say at this point as to affected accounts.

Those who had passwords decrypted probably had easy to decrypt passwords or weak passwords, but we don't know what the watermark was for complexity. For instance, I have a number of user accounts in the system that I believe would have been taken by the attacker, however I use complex passwords, and none of my passwords were decrypted - and therefore I never received any of the emails from the hackers for ANY of the accounts that I own.

We were using an older hashing protocol with a single salt.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Thank you Lindsay for the update... You guys do an excellent job here.......

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For what it is worth, since 2005 I used a simple and common password and I have not received an email from an attacker, or from whomever they probably sold it to if mine was harvested. I use a Gmail email account and I rarely check it, so I had stuff in there from May 2019. Nothing found in the inbox or spam folder asking for payment/ransom etc...again for whatever that is worth. (I am now using a complex password)

ion_op

Where were the emails sent, here on RR or the email address in your account? I have received no spam mentioning RR. PW changed.

Last edited:

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Should we go ahead and change our password or wait for the force password change?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I've rolled out the new password management functions, so you can go ahead and change your password now.

If you change your password now, we won't reset your password when we do the mass password change that's going to happen here shortly.

Hopefully a one-way hash with a large salt.........

I don't think anyone has mentioned that if by chance you used the same email address and password for other sites you should change those as well

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've rolled out the new password management functions, so you can go ahead and change your password now.

If you change your password now, we won't reset your password when we do the mass password change that's going to happen here shortly.

Thanks Lindsay!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
My compromised PW was long, complex, and almost zero chance it would be vulnerable to a dictionary attack. FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.