Possible to control scanner via internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainerman

Hi,

I have a Uniden BCT15 in one area of my house that I would like to be able to control from another part of the house by my internet connected laptop. I have heard that this is possible by software, but what software and how?

Thanks for your time!

SonicN

Hi,

I have a Uniden BCT15 in one area of my house that I would like to be able to control from another part of the house by my internet connected laptop. I have heard that this is possible by software, but what software and how?

Thanks for your time!

I don't know your radio, but if you got software that can control your radio, just install this, and hook it up to your radio. Then use "remote desktop", use another computer, log on to the computer that you radio is hooked up to, and voìla...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Thanks for your time!

My program, ProScan can do exactly this with streaming audio. The 30 day demo is fully functional.

www.proscan.org

brandon

Database Admin
Yep. I second the ProScan choice. This is by far the best and easiest method for controlling your radio.

smason

I use Proscan for this, and not only can I control/listen from any computer on the net, I can also use it's web server and stream it on my iPhone, no control, but great audio.

trainerman

Re:

Thanks for all the replies and help. So if I go with Proscan will I be the only one who can view and control the scanner or can anyone with the ip address view/control it?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies and help. So if I go with Proscan will I be the only one who can view and control the scanner or can anyone with the ip address view/control it?

Yes and No. If the ProScan server and client are on the same home network and you don't setup the router port forwarding, then only the server can be accessed from within the home network.

If the router port forwarding is setup to allow ProScan traffic on the port specified, then any one can access it provided they know the IP address and port.

N2JDS

As a free alternative, I use logmein.com
They have a free version. When you log in, it's just like being logged into your computer that scanner is running through, then you just open up your software to do whatever you want to. This will work from anywhere in the world into your computer. I've reprogrammed mine and changed setting while at work many times.
St. Charles Countywide EMS, Fire, and Law Live Scanner Audio Feed

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
....then any one can access it provided they know the IP address and port.....
You set up a password for the Control client. Then anybody who installs the free control client can find and listen to your scanner but they can not program or alter it.

trainerman

Thanks for all the great suggestions and help! I have decided to stick with my Uniden software and use the free service, logmein.com for controlling my desktop service remotely. Great stuff...thanks for the suggestions about using remote desktop control.

Status
Not open for further replies.