• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Possible to modify radio freq. channels ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suriname

Here's a hardcore electronics question...
Is it possible to modift gmrs radios to work on different frequencies then the ones they are programmed for ? e.g. the Unidens and such ?
Can these be re-programmed or flashed in any way, to have at least a few channels different ?

(p.s. before you all jump in my neck, this would not be used anywhere near USA)

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Bubble-pack radios? I doubt it, at least not without expensive test equipment and a knowledgable tech to do it. And the laws in many other countries are harsher than the penalties for violating FCC regulations here. Just FYI.

suriname

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Bubble-pack radios? I doubt it, at least not without expensive test equipment and a knowledgable tech to do it. And the laws in many other countries are harsher than the penalties for violating FCC regulations here. Just FYI.

a good quality marine-radio

don't worry about laws, no dense population within a 100km from where I am. (no mobile/GSM either)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
a good quality marine-radio

don't worry about laws, no dense population within a 100km from where I am. (no mobile/GSM either)

?? There's a big difference between GMRS and marine radios,they are on two totally different bands so which are you asking about?

n9zas

suriname

You are correct about the different bands. I had it mixed up when posting, your comment cleared my mixup.

As for the mod, let me rephrase the question: Can a Marine VHF radio be *re-tuned* to to TX/RX on non-Marine frequencies in the 2M (144-148) band ? Those are a bit more close by...

(I can find measure equipment and parts to have this done)

Tnx !

gewecke

Banned
You are correct about the different bands. I had it mixed up when posting, your comment cleared my mixup.

As for the mod, let me rephrase the question: Can a Marine VHF radio be *re-tuned* to to TX/RX on non-Marine frequencies in the 2M (144-148) band ? Those are a bit more close by...

(I can find measure equipment and parts to have this done)

Tnx !

Uh....NO because a amateur radio license is required to transmit on the 2m band, and marine radios are not intended to tune that low in the first place.

n9zas

suriname

You did say no, but your because-statement was not valid for the question asked (license a non-issue where I am, far away from the USA).

As for the 2nd part of your *answer* where you say "not intended to tune that low in the first place":
IF it was intended, I would NOT be asking for a mod (aka modification, for something NOT intended in the first place). Duh.

RKG

Your question cannot be answered generically. One has to know the details of the synthesizer design, how and where the synthesizer control is implemented, and whether the resonant components are broad enough to shift in the desired direction and amount.

suriname

Your question cannot be answered generically. One has to know the details of the synthesizer design, how and where the synthesizer control is implemented, and whether the resonant components are broad enough to shift in the desired direction and amount.

There's a great answer ! I now know what to look for and find out if what you have said is possible to accomplish. Merci !

gewecke

Banned
You did say no, but your because-statement was not valid for the question asked (license a non-issue where I am, far away from the USA).

As for the 2nd part of your *answer* where you say "not intended to tune that low in the first place":
IF it was intended, I would NOT be asking for a mod (aka modification, for something NOT intended in the first place). Duh.

D-uh, marine radios are manufactured by a whole list of companies that design them to be used specifically in the marine band ONLY, meaning they are not chop job friendly so again the answer is No. No matter where you are in the galaxy.

n9zas

suriname

Maybe.
But there would not be a "Pimp my car" if everyone would drive their car the way it was intended to, the way it came from the factory.
Mods make everything more interesting. Maybe not for you, but it does for others. Radio-Shack and Mouser are great sources for many of us, for the exact same reason there are aftermarket parts for cars (to do things they were NOT intended to do).
So unless you intend to contribute to the post, I kindly ask to please move along..
"Pimp my Marine-Radio" coming up after the break.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Maybe.
But there would not be a "Pimp my car" if everyone would drive their car the way it was intended to, the way it came from the factory.
Mods make everything more interesting. Maybe not for you, but it does for others. Radio-Shack and Mouser are great sources for many of us, for the exact same reason there are aftermarket parts for cars (to do things they were NOT intended to do).
So unless you intend to contribute to the post, I kindly ask to please move along..
"Pimp my Marine-Radio" coming up after the break.
This isn't tv.
I'm guessing you're not a real quick study,otherwise you wouldn't be debating this with me so please let me know if you find any easily modifiable marine radios? I'm betting NO. They are designed NOT to be tinkered with in the first place but go ahead and trash one, obviously some just have to try regardless of the facts.

n9zas

suriname

This isn't tv.
I'm guessing you're not a real quick study,otherwise you wouldn't be debating this with me so please let me know if you find any easily modifiable marine radios? I'm betting NO. They are designed NOT to be tinkered with in the first place but go ahead and trash one, obviously some just have to try regardless of the facts.

n9zas

They come quite inexpensive, and being a marine-radio, are also water/weather-proof.
Nothing is designed to be tinkered with. That must not slow you down.
I've seen many devices be modified to do things they were not designed to do.
Rules are not meant to be broken, but I do bend them quite a lot.
I will be trying it 4 sure, that you don't have to tell me.

RKG

There's a great answer ! I now know what to look for and find out if what you have said is possible to accomplish. Merci !

True, in theory. In the real world, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on this. I'm reasonably certain that most marine radios have their synthesizer control logic hard coded (and therefore not possible to change). It would be much easier just to find a radio that was designed to operate on the channels of interest.

mancow

Database Admin
It's hard coded into the processor. If you could intercept the pll lines with another controller then yes.

gewecke

Banned
Now that would be some serious bench time...if you rewrote the pll or maybe find a sub from a design using the same series radio.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.