Possible to pick up AM stations on 396T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at a baseball game recently and tried in vain to grab an AM station that others nearby us were listening to.. Now it has the FM broadcast bank, but I tried even doing a custom search from the CB band all the way to somewhere around the top limit..

Scanning through 4xx and 8xx was really fun in the middle of downtown St Louis

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
No AM Broadcast band on 396T

I don't think it falls within the scanner's range... the 396's bottom range is 25MHz, and the AM broadcast band is .5Mhz to 1.7MHz.

Regards,

n2mdk

By AM stations are you talking about commercial AM Broadcasting, then no. the 396 starts at 25MHz the AM Broadcast starts at (aprox) 500KHz and goes up to 1.7 MHz way below the low end of the scanner.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Personally i find that kinda not cool about the `396T (not being able to recieve the AM broadcast band), i for one would really like that feature, as when i`m at the Milwaukee Brewers games it makes for one less radio i gotta carry, and makes things easier too...just plug in a headset or earbud and catch the play-by-play. Mabey Uniden will add that to a feuture unit or as an update (ether free or a buy-up option). We can hope :). N9NRA

Had no idea - yea had the earbuds (one for each of us) and settled in to enjoy the game thinking I'd tune it in and the fun would begin.

oh well, thanks for the confirm - apparently no local FM station broadcasts.. of course.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Personally i find that kinda not cool about the `396T (not being able to recieve the AM broadcast band), i for one would really like that feature, as when i`m at the Milwaukee Brewers games it makes for one less radio i gotta carry, and makes things easier too...just plug in a headset or earbud and catch the play-by-play. Mabey Uniden will add that to a feuture unit or as an update (ether free or a buy-up option). We can hope :). N9NRA

Hey...you want something that covers it all...go spend several thousand on a AOR radio along with the extra equipment and software needed to make it follow trunked radios systems.

Course...it might be a bit heavy to carry then.

Seriously...if you're going to listen to a baseball game at the ball park...why not just stay home and listen at home? I never did understand people who did that...listened on the radio while watching the game in person. Like you don't know who's at bat...or how many outs there are or whatever?

hydrolocked

KMOX has a UHF frequency that you can listen to (I've forgotten the exact freq) on a scanner - i think it's the link from their studios to the actual broadcast site.

n5ims

One other issue with listening to a radio broadcast in the stadium during a game is the delay due added to keep the analog & digital (IBOC 'HD radio') signals in sync. This delay is generally 5 - 8 seconds and added so the transition back to the analog signal sounds normal if the 'HD' singal drops below the level necessary for good decoding.

This IBOC encoding delay is in no way related to any delay used to eliminate swearing on live talk shows.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
recieving AM on a scanner

Hey...you want something that covers it all...go spend several thousand on a AOR radio along with the extra equipment and software needed to make it follow trunked radios systems.

Course...it might be a bit heavy to carry then.

Seriously...if you're going to listen to a baseball game at the ball park...why not just stay home and listen at home? I never did understand people who did that...listened on the radio while watching the game in person. Like you don't know who's at bat...or how many outs there are or whatever?

Actually there`s a reason for wanting to be able to hear the stuff on the radio at the game, what of the person that has some kind of visual disability (like myself for example), those folks might very well not be able to see who`se at bat even with binoculars (mabey), so having the radio feed is a big help there. Hoever, i do see where ya are conning from. N9NRA

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Actually there`s a reason for wanting to be able to hear the stuff on the radio at the game, what of the person that has some kind of visual disability (like myself for example), those folks might very well not be able to see who`se at bat even with binoculars (mabey), so having the radio feed is a big help there. Hoever, i do see where ya are conning from. N9NRA

Yes...for those with visual disability....I agree, a radio is a good option. I am a retired Denver cop, and worked many, many Rockies games (inside the park) and I always found it interesting to see who did and didn't have earphones on. And yes, I've talked to some of the folks who went to games, but were legally blind....they enjoyed the "feeling" of the crowd and "excitement" of the game just as much as sighted persons.

Thanks!
Don

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey no problem, when i went to Brewers (milwaukee, WI) games they encoraged us to bring a radio, that way we could all enjoy the game, and it worked great. One could keep up with the game even when ya weren`t actually watching it (at the concession stands, for instance). And given the way some of thes ballparks are built having a radio (or scanner that can copy AM) is a good idea for anyone at a game...it`s nearly impossible to tell what`s happening on the field without the play-calling from the booth IMHO. And that`s why i would kinda like to see the `396T get AM recieve, mabey in a feuture uptate (pretty please Uniden!) :) N9NRA

bwilborn

Have you considered a BR330T? It's got a bar antenna and can get AM. It does everything the 396 does except the digital stuff. I've actually got both and they complement each other nicely.

-- B

Confuzzled

This doesn't really have anything to do with Uniden, but here goes....

As a kid, we would never have considered going to a ball game without one of those $5 transistor radios (AM only). You could be at the park and see things happening, but have no idea why. Managers would go on the field but the stadium PA wouldn't explain anything. The radio broadcasters would. They would also provide background information, stats, interviews, etc. We could keep up with what was going on while everybody around us just kind of had blank stares. They'd all be asking us, "What's happening?", "What are they doing?", "Why the delay?"

Status
Not open for further replies.