• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Possible to Read Encryption Keys Off A DMR Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Suppose you borrow someone's encrypted XPR 7550 or 6550 and hook it up to the programming software. It there a way to make it show you what the encryption key is?

N4KVE

No. That will not work. So whenever I make a change to my XPR radios, I have to open the saved code plug, make the changes, & reprogram. As long as I do that, I can see what the key is. But to read a radio, you will not see the keys.

CanesFan95

So what if you then go ahead and read the radio, save the codeplug file on your computer, and then do what you just said. Can you see what the encryption key is that way?

CanesFan95

But doesn't the key have to be saved somewhere in the radio? The radio has to know what the key is to descramble transmissions?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, the key is saved in the radio but as you've already been told, CPS will not read the key back out.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
All you'll see for private data like privacy or OTAP keys are dots or a [size=+2]⍉[/size].

N4KVE

If you read the saved code plug, you would see KEY123456789. If you read the radio, you would see KEY*********. What good would encryption be if a 3 letter agency, or soldier lost his radio, & the enemy found it, read it, & knew the key. Now DMR radios are not used by 3 letter agencies, or the military, but long ago we used System Sabers with DES-XL, & a 3011DX key loader. When the battery needed to be changed, you had 30 seconds to change it, or lose the key. But if a soldier knew capture was iminent, he would remove the battery while the radio was on, & the key was instantly wiped from the radio. Newer radios allow you to choose to keep the key if no battery is attached.

CanesFan95

Is there any kind of a back-door way to hack into the radio and get the key? It's gotta be saved on a microchip somewhere in the radio.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
One has to wonder why you're so intent on hacking the key?

If there is a way (I've no clue), I doubt anyone on here would be talking about it.

Unless if you're trying to find vulnerabilities so they may be fixed?!

clbsquared

You're basically asking people to help you break the law. If the system is encrypted and you find a way to hack it, and "they" find out you hacked it, you could be in serious trouble. This thread is going in the same direction as your other thread about scanning a Phase II system with an APX radio. It cannot be done!!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You're basically asking people to help you break the law. If the system is encrypted and you find a way to hack it, and "they" find out you hacked it, you could be in serious trouble. This thread is going in the same direction as your other thread about scanning a Phase II system with an APX radio. It cannot be done!!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

He isn't asking folks to help him break the law, as merely having possession of the "keys" isn't illegal, or reading his radio is not. I won't accuse him of reading a radio that isn't his, we don't know why he wants to do this. I will agree this isn't the proper forum to discuss sensitive information such as this, but it is interesting to see what workarounds there may be, so we can get a new FW release from Motorola with a way to prevent it, as has been done before.....

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Is there any kind of a back-door way to hack into the radio and get the key? It's gotta be saved on a microchip somewhere in the radio.

Of course it's stored in the radio, otherwise it wouldn't work.

You have to realize what you are trying to do is made to be difficult. This is the case for any encrypted radio, regardless of manufacturer or system type. If it was that easy to recover a key what good is the encryption? Obviously you are attempting to listen to an encrypted channel of some sort. If you were meant to have the key then you would already have it. If there was a 'back door hack' do you really think anyone is going to admit to it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.