SDS100/SDS200: Possible to read SDS100 battery voltage with multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Another thread about battery had me thinking and didnt want to hijack that thread.

Is it possible to read SDS100 battery voltage with multimeter? Which connections are positive and negative. I see 3

I know I can put it in the scanner and read the voltage, but I have a external charger would like to check the on batterys without constantly switching batterys around and putting more stress/wear on the cover/cover holder.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You aren’t going to get into trouble checking for the positive and negative posts. Is there some warning that came with the multimeter that cautions against reversing polarity? If there is it’s only to get you to look for the negative sign (-) before the voltage reading, in which case just swap your leads. The multimeter will then show a plus sign (+) or no sign at all.

radio3353

To get an accurate reading, the battery has to have a load applied. Checking battery voltage without a load is not useful data.

wtp

it is why i use a light bulb to check cells.
if i remember my very old very cheap tester had 5000/ohms per volt
so testing a 1.5 volt battery was like shorting it with a 7500 ohm resistor.
with a better tester or a digital one the ohms are way up and it is like it is not there. the better one i have is 50,000 ohms a volt. so for more math it would be a 75,000 ohm resistor.

like i said a bulb is fast and cheap, but you should use a multimeter.

Ubbe

Some batteries have an extra connector that switch the battery voltage off and on. It is to protect it from shortcircuit when it is not used. So might not be possible to get any readings. It depends on the design.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.