BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Possible to split BC-GPSK receiver between 2 radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tede911

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Just pondering an impeding mobile installation project. I am wondering if it is possible to put a splitter on a BC-GPSK GPS receiver puck so that I can use the device with two GPS-capable Uniden scanners? Would this work or is it a pipe dream?

Thanks in advance!

- Ted

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The serial communication protocol used means the GPS requires acknowledgment from the scanner for receipt of serial data. There are also limits to how many devices can be connected to a single serial output line. You'd have to actively buffer the output from the GPS to each scanner separately, with some provision for handling multiple acknowledgement signals. It's doable, but you'd need to construct a circuit board with some interconnected logic chips. It's not a simple matter of fabricating a DB-9 Y cable.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not all that difficult, it has been mentioned on here previously, you might be able to search and find something.

Hams also do it (APRS) systems. There also are commercial splitters but they are $$$$$ and you might still need to create your own wiring.

Something as simple as this might work https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=93

Hello all,

Just pondering an impeding mobile installation project. I am wondering if it is possible to put a splitter on a BC-GPSK GPS receiver puck so that I can use the device with two GPS-capable Uniden scanners? Would this work or is it a pipe dream?

Thanks in advance!

- Ted

JamesO

Have not personally connected multiple radios, but I have heard from others it does work. The GPS output is basically a "broadcast" stream, there does not seem to be a requirement for bi-directional communication between the scanner and the GPS unit.

phask

Premium Subscriber
It's done all the time in the marine world. Autopilot, chartplotter and others all using once common (high end) gps. NMEA is , as you say, just one way.

Have not personally connected multiple radios, but I have heard from others it does work. The GPS output is basically a "broadcast" stream, there does not seem to be a requirement for bi-directional communication between the scanner and the GPS unit.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I made a simple 'y' cable for use with my aprs radio and my 996xt using the same gps18. You shouldn't need(I didn't) anything special to run the two scanners.

Jeff

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I am using the uniden GPS with a splitter to feed a BCD536HP and a MDT... no issues just make sure you use straight-through cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.