Possibly burnt out the 92.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingwolf

Old School
Ok so I just got moved into the new house.
Decided its time to get the scanners up and going.

Setup everything as I had them before (set the antenna in the window) and turned on the 92.

Got a repetitive sound from it, sounded kinda like a fan with lots of noise.

As I turn the squelch up to kick it off and start it scanning the squelch doesn't go off, it just slowly quiets, then it starts scanning. So I lower the squelch back down and as I keep going it doesn't stop on anything.

I take the squelch all the way down and not even a peep from the speaker. I set ti to a station manually, and turned the squelch all the way down. Nothing.

So what do you all think? This damn thing goes paws up on me or what?

I reset it then when that didn't work completely initialized it. So I am at a loss here, any way to fix an overloaded front end?

And is this what this could be?

flyingwolf

Old School
Was I correct in my assumtion of what happened?

Do I now own a dorrstop? An if so what the hell happened, my old pro-28 didnt seem tohave a single problem working off of the same antenna and in the exact same spot, so what the hell could have caused that?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Astrak said:
Could just be picking up noise.
He said when he turns squelch all the way down, he doesn't hear a peep. Doesn't sound like it's "just picking up noise" to me.

flyingwolf

Old School
This is on a wal wart, I tried many different outlets in the house ( to make sure there wasnt possibly something on that circuit causing a problem, I then tossed in some batteries and got the same thing.

After letting it sit for about an hour it did finnaly give me staticx when I turned it back on, about 30 seconds later, it slowly faded to silence and is back where it was.
This is a B version.

Do you mind reminding me how to get the firmware version again?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Have you tried it on batteries? Maybe the wall wart is bad. Hmmm, come to think of it, since you just moved you are using the same wall wart (specifically I refer to the fact that the Pro-92 has a negative center and positive outer shield on the power connector.)

Al42

Starts up only when totally cold, then fades out? Sounds like a bad capacitor somewhere. If you have rock steady hands, eagle vision and a knowledge of electronics, you may be able to find the problem. (Assuming you can see well enough to find those itty bitty things they call "components" these days.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Wolf and all,

You guys should know better, most here are simple hobbyists with little to no electronics training or experience and diagnosis by remote contol is like trying to catch a black cat in a coal mine with the lights out.

Now you have a decision to make, whether to send it for repair or toss it. BTW, anything can happen during shipment, packages have been smashed, crushed, dropped from great heights, run over by large wheels and used as sporting equipment, just ask anyone who has ever used UPS.

roadranger

hmmm... Is there no audio only in the built-in speaker? Have you tried other external speakers or headphones? I know this isn't a great way to enjoy a portable scanner, if it is one. This will give you an opportunity to test the audio circiut. Thats what I'd do. Then E-mail me if you wanna sell it! Don't forget to tune in something you can hear. The best is the local weather alert station, which is constatntly pumping out audio.

Last edited:

flyingwolf

Old School
lol good points there Warren.

If I felt the need I could probably fix it, but frankly I paid 5 dollars for it at the local goodwill, I will probably never get another find like that.

But hey I ain't gonna sweat it.

Though I did get a nice find at the good will this past Saturday.

I picked up 2 THX certified theater speakers, along with 2 THX certified surround theater speakers, 50 and 35 respectivly.
And the kicker was a BRAND NEW ButtKicker LFEkit (Made to vibrate the theater seat for more in depth feel) priced at 2 dollars!.

And the biggest deal of the day, all electronics were 50% off.

I got all of that. what would have been 87 bucks for a mere 43.50.

Seems everyone thought the butt kicker was some sort of power supply and didn't know how to use it, the control for it and the mounting hardware were there but marked separately, I pointed out to the manager that they were a unit and she gave it all to me for the 2 bucks and half off.

Now THAT is a steal.

Oh ya and they sound freaking sweet. Really go with the new house.

flyingwolf

Old School
Actually there is Audio in the speaker for a short time, and the keypad does beep through the speaker when pressing the keys.

However it will not pick up any channels, including the WX.

Seems to just be completely dead.

roadranger

Well, what else goes on? A good friend of mine usually sticks radios in the freezer for a while, which makes them stop behaving so badly. What kind of an antenna did you put into the window? Did youdop the radio by accident? Did it fall on its antenna conector?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
To see the firmware version (it is on a sticker on the inside on a board (I don't know which one)), also I believe while on start-up, you can press 1 then 3 and it should show it, or it may be just the 3 or func then 3. I don't have mine in front of me right now, so I can't test it. Someone on here should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.