• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

post-Edacs

Status
Not open for further replies.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
so I hear Edacs systems will no longer be produced/sold, and will not be supported after 2017. So my county's unscannable Provoice for deputies will be no more :)

http://www.pspc.harris.com/media/ECR-7684A-EDACS to P25 Migration-page by page-small_tcm27-11728.pdf

the press release I saw suggested that Harris corp will be entering the P25 market.
now I'm wondering; might my county continue current frequencies and transition to new radios wi newer technology? or will the change require all new frequencies (FCC licenses)?

nd5y

They don't necessarily have to changed frequencies but that is a possibility, especially if it is in the 866-869 MHz NPSPAC band and has to reband or if they plan to move to 700 MHz or another band.

Richardson, TX had an 800 MHz EDACS system. 2 or 3 years ago they rebanded it and then last year converted it to P25 using the same frequencies.

Search your city/county web sites for council meeting agendas, minutes, bids, etc. and the FCC for license modifications or new licenses and you may be able to find out exactly what they will do in advance.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
A department local to me is currently transitioning from their mixed mode EDACS system (works & fire are analog, PD are AEGIS) to a new Harris P25ip system. They are re-using the existing frequencies so far (steal one from the EDACS system, move it to the P25 system.. test.. test.. test etc). The new P25 police talkgroups already have encryption enabled so I wouldn't be toooo hopeful if I was you. They are accustomed to being on a system now that can't be scanned and would likely want it to stay that way... but you never know!!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It is. As long as it isn't encrypted. The point I was trying to make is that I would fully expect your departments new P25 system to be encrypted.

dsw760

The point I was trying to make is that I would fully expect your departments new P25 system to be encrypted.

I agree. The police in my area also switched from EDACS with AEGIS digital voice to a P25 system with full time encryption. These departments went with Provoice or AEGIS for one reason, to keep people from monitoring their communications.

grem467

Provoice is not a p25 compliant option. Tia102 is very clear on the parameters for the voice framing and vocoder and provoice isn't it.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Edacs with provoice is out dated. Everyone is moving to new better things like P25 which has been around a long time but is not going anywhere anytime soon. OpenSky crap is being pushed hard and is comming up in the ranks fast. Where I live we have an edacs system with most in provoice. The system is very old and still works but has its own set of issues like any. I have heard but not confirmed anything that they are looking to change to P25 system and the new radios they have been buying slowly would support this switch. Still a few years out but long over due I think.

wd8chl

Provoice is not a p25 compliant option. Tia102 is very clear on the parameters for the voice framing and vocoder and provoice isn't it.

ProVoice has nothing to do with P25 (just like that Astro thing). Not only is it not compliant, it is not possible. When you order a radio with EDACS, ProVoice, and P25 enabled in feature encryption, it will not do ProVoice audio in a P25 system. And vice-versa, it will not do P25 audio in a EDACS system.

I don't know if they have set a hard cutoff for EDACS equipment availability, but I know some of it is already not available. Support will be offered for some time yet, however.

Oh, and Harris has been "in" P25 for very many years. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were the second to offer P25 radios. I know they were the the second to offer infrastructure, especially trunked systems. Think pre-Y2K at least. I had a couple of demo P7100's in 1998 that could have had P25 added with feature encryption.

Thayne

Buying those Harris radios gives them any easy path to P-25 because they can be used for EDACS & ProVoice until they switch over without having to spend mucho $$ all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.