Post-V2 Update Performance for BCD396T and BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Please use this thread to discuss/report performance after the update. The other thread is being used primarily for early input to finish tweaking out the web site...any positive or negative performance comments are going to get lost in the mix, there.

Dewey

Nothing noticable to the 396 or 996 so far, but NOTHING negative either. Once the update was finished, my 396 did brew a cup of coffee for me, and the 996 added the cream and suger. BTW, the update to both went VERY SMOOTH!

Dewey

W2SJW

Database Admin
OK, mines been running for 15 minutes since the update with very positive results on the neighboring county's Type-II 3600 system with ASTRO talkgroups.

I've got marginal coverage here in the computer room (2 bars), and not a SINGLE motorboat yet on any of the digital TGID's ! :D (and it's set on AUTO with a default level of 7)

Now, I have to wait almost a month to see how this puppy is going to work on the PRWN in AZ on vacation... :(

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Illinois Starcom 21

Got it a little bit ago, no change on Starcom 21..Site 102 which is a simulcast site. Still getting garbling, control channel drops as with prior firmware. Can't say I noticed improvement. Took me quite awhile to figure this out. I believe my mistake was trying to add the VUP into my scanner..my head was spinning, time for some Advil.

Last edited:

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
W2SJW said:
(and it's set on AUTO with a default level of 7)

Now, I have to wait almost a month to see how this puppy is going to work on the PRWN in AZ on vacation... :(

The P25 settings mean nothing anymore, its all automatic.
Improved auto-threshold adjustment. The settings remain in the menus to maintain compatibility with UASD, but the setting itself is just a placeholder now.

AZ on vacation, you pick the time when its starting to get hot here? I guess its better than coming in July or August?

Last edited:

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I listen to the North Carolina VIPER 800mhz system here in Raleigh every day. I just finished updating my 396T.

There were no P25 issues prior to the firmware update, so I don't expect any before/after changes. What I hope to see with this update is EDACS beeps while monitoring the Montgomery Co. Texas system. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=58
I should be back in Texas next week to try it out. For the sake if comparison, I used to
monitor that EDACS system daily with a 246T and the beeps were so bad I just used my PRO96. The last few times I was there with my 396T, it had the same issue with beeps (just a week or so ago).

There is a large EDACS system south of me that I can try out while mobile, but I don't listen to it from home since it's too far away to get good enough reception to scan.

So far, after 20 minutes of monitoring the VIPER system, I've heard ONE short 'motorboat' burst but I wasn't looking at the display to see what TG or frequency it was on at the time.

As for the AGC performance I have not noticed any real change. After I listen for a few days and do some side by side comparisons with my PRO96 I'll know more.

I was hoping there would be a suprise NAC decoder added into this firmare update though.

W2SJW

Database Admin
scanbc780 said:
AZ on vacation, you pick the time when its starting to get hot here? I guess its better than coming in July or August?

Ahh yes, warm enough to enjoy the pool & stuff at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, but not hot enough to fry (3 years ago we got there just a scant few days after the monsoons started, and the 118 highs were down to a respectable 105-108 :lol:).

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
Now I would just like to see my RH96 replicate the screen. With this new feature on the 996 that shows the volume and squelch level, that for some reason I like, it does not replicate to the RH96. Not a big deal, but would be nice if there ever is to be a FW update to the RH.

EDIT: I just noticed it does display on the RH when you adjust from the 996, but neither display it when you adjust vol/sq from the RH.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
scanbc780 said:
Now I would just like to see my RH96 replicate the screen. With this new feature on the 996 that shows the volume and squelch level, that for some reason I like, it does not replicate to the RH96. Not a big deal, but would be nice if there ever is to be a FW update to the RH.

I was wondering about that as I was putting the 996 back in the car. Guess we'll have to lobby for an RH96 update now. ;)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
P25 audio is the best I have ever heard it on the 396 and 996. Anyone having any problems with motorboating on P16 systems?

800crazy1

ill get to monitor two systems tomarrow ...one p16 3600 digital. (CT.STATE POLICE) and ill be monitoring Hartfords edacs system . so we'll see if the beeps have subsided on there system. i work 1 block from the hartford PD. HOPE THIS IS FIXED ...the beeps were not too too bad , but bad enough . about every 12-15th transmission you'd get em.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
DaveIN said:
P25 audio is the best I have ever heard it on the 396 and 996. Anyone having any problems with motorboating on P16 systems?

Just a little, but nothing as bad as it was. I will admit that I got rather frustrated with the motorboating and never really monitored digital traffic. Now it is loud and clear, even with less than 1 bar, which is probably the reason for my motorboating.

I am very happy with the upgrade on the 396. Just have to do the 996 now...

topnik

So far so GREAT...performance is the same on my Mot TypeII Smartzone Analog&P25CAI system in Sarpy County, performance is better on the ORION system (P25 STD CAI EXCL) in Douglas County (Omaha)...as a matter of fact, much more reliable digital decoding with weaker strength (important to someone farther away from the emitters). Going to check out the OAFB Mot TypeII Smartnet Analog UHF system tomorrow...also going to check out the Lincoln EDACS system...this all from an updated 396...

cpuerror

Update on a 996 went well and the digital audio does seem to be improved. Over the next few days I'll get a chance to listen to it and see if i can tell any more difference.

rhutch

Anybody else on here that monitors the Bell Fleetnet system in Ontario (zone 1) of the bat this update cause it to hang on every transmission.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
After doing the update (without all the problems) by following the instructions, the 396T came back up just as it was. Took it for a spin around town (in the truck) and at first the local DPS (P25 Conventional) was "pixelated" noise, but after about 3 transmissions it seemed to smooth out and is now working like a champ. Paul was that expected or was I just in a bad spot?

I have to go out of town tomorrow and spend the weekend in New Orleans, I'll see if the improved P25 code can handle the LATIE simulcast in the NOLA area any better than it did before.

Paul enjoy your trip, sorry you will be lonely <grin>.
I am going to stick this thread also when I finish the post.

rhutch

IT's now total unsuable on the Bellfleet net system. It will not resume scanning after a transmission it just opens the squelch and I get noise. This sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.