Post Your Mystery Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

One of the other items, I tend to see is folks mixing up the Agencies under the parent agency.
Lots of CBP thrown out when there is
Customs, Border Patrol, ICE [ and under ICE is HSI ]

Many have their own Radio Networks, and then they also can/do share within Regions.

BP has Operations anywhere within 100mi of the Border
Posting the map as it is a good resource - outside of the politics of the story.

They have those in a lot of places. Not just border areas or cities with a ICE office. The same is true for the FBI.

The ICE repeater in my town is dead 99.9 % of the time. I would never have know it was there except I happened to hear the techs on the old analog repeater the day they switched it to P25.

ecps92

Monitoring a few VS networks, you are correct - nothing other than a "Ker-Chunk" and each Repeater then heard [hence why you might see 1-4 bursts - so all repeaters in the network can be scanned]

I've also seen VS enabled on single Repeaters [Stand Alone] so the user ends up knowing there is one near-by
Tom is correct - this is usually a "vote scan" system that allows radios coming in to the area to figure out the nearest repeater with the best signal without the radio owner having to key up and see if it works. The radios are looking for these key ups as they scan. The key ups usually don't contain any other data besides the P-25 NAC as far as I have been able to determine.

- Chris

krokus

Premium Subscriber
BP can operate farther than 100 miles from the border and has stations in places like Albuquerque, Dallas, Midland, Abilene, San Antonio that are way farther than 100 miles from the border.
They are federal, and can operate anywhere in the country. The linked article showed that USBP has enhanced search abilities within 100 miles of the border or coast.

Also CBP is different than USBP. Many people miss that fact.

Last edited:

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
They are federal, and can operate anywhere in the country. The linked article showed that USBP has enhanced search abilities within 100 miles of the border or coast.

Also CBP is different than USBP. Many people miss that fact.

Border Patrol is a agency that belongs to Customs and Border Protection.

spacellamaman

One of the other items, I tend to see is folks mixing up the Agencies under the parent agency.
Lots of CBP thrown out when there is
Customs, Border Patrol, ICE [ and under ICE is HSI ]

Many have their own Radio Networks, and then they also can/do share within Regions.

BP has Operations anywhere within 100mi of the Border
Posting the map as it is a good resource - outside of the politics of the story.

thanks for the link. that map is something i have wanted to see for some time, to get a better idea of what 100miles looks like. that little area up near albany is kinda funny.

having learned about this in 2004 on a road trip out west, it has always boggled my mind. my ignorance made for quite an interesting fiasco with the federales outside white sands.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Had a short lived band opening into Southwestern PA, received a NXDN control channel 164.5375 RAN3. Unable to obtain any other information. I have the frequency listed as an IRS frequency, not sure if they are using NXDN

ecps92

Keep in mind, our Federal Band is used by Canada, depending on the path of that recent openning it was likely there and...
they don't use the 12.5 in that band, so it might be 5350 [had one from NS last week myself, and spent hours searching, when it was not 12.5]

Likely you caught

Had a short lived band opening into Southwestern PA, received a NXDN control channel 164.5375 RAN3. Unable to obtain any other information. I have the frequency listed as an IRS frequency, not sure if they are using NXDN

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Metro-NYC area. 168.76250MHz, NAC 167. Pretty obviously FBI by the NAC, but it's currently not identified in the NYC area. Anyone perhaps have the appropriate label for the frequency?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
173.8250, 225 NAC. Unit was running license plates. By the NAC, I'm guessing this is an unlisted Gateway NRA frequency?

ecps92

USSS - Uniformed Division - likely the FMB
The Uniformed Division has three branches: the White House Branch, the Foreign Missions Branch, and the Naval Observatory Branch
District of Columbia / Maryland / Virginia -- 172.5625 P25 NAC 312, Only TG 1 active when I monitored, ENC

riverradio68

Feed Provider
163.6250 32 NAC 163.7000 31 NAC 167.7125 & 171.6125 both 167 NAC (FBI probably) but the 171.6125 I get 4 bars on so maybe Red River counties? I'm 30 miles south of Paris TX.

165.2125 and 171.6625 are weird. I hear really fast key-up with digital sound but the scanner can't lock a NAC as the traffic is too fast. Then the go cold for minutes to hours before doing it again.

I'm searching for the Election day Civil war, logging in ProScan so more to come I'm sure.

nd5y

You might be receiving stuff from the DFW area since there has been good tropo conditions the past few days. You will have to keep an eye on them and see if the signal strength changes druing the day or if they disappear completely for long periods. That can be difficult to do because the feds usually don't talk that much.
165.2125 and 171.6625 are weird. I hear really fast key-up with digital sound but the scanner can't lock a NAC as the traffic is too fast. Then the go cold for minutes to hours before doing it again.
The short data bursts on P25 conventional repeaters indicate they are probably part of an IP linked vote-scan system.

163.625, 163.700 & 170.9875 are probably CPB/ICE on one of the Cedar Hill TV towers but I don't know what NAC they are currently using there. They could be someplace else.
171.6625 is probably CBP/ICE or DEA.
165.2125 is used by the US Secret Service in a lot of places but could be something else. Years ago it was reported with NAC 001 at Bush's house in Dallas.

ecps92

Dallas ICE, part of a wide-area network of repeaters, surprised it's not in the DB as it's been around for years
if I recall correctly, same network as the $031 and $032 you found - BTW NAC's are 3 characters long, uniden drops the leading zeros
170.9875 44 NAC ENC LNK D/FW Area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.