Posting of Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Was any member who is also a ham asked permission by radio reference if it was okay to post your address in the bio.

You can easily see it member or not.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
It's not just RadioReference, there are many idiot hams out there that query this information and post in their blogs and on their personal websites; it's dam near impossible for it not to be leaked out here somewhere... If its a concern, you should have a P.O. Box listed...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Lindsay makes RR's position clear in this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/forums-administration/226363-amateur-radio-badge.html

In a nutshell: If you choose to use your amateur callsign as your RR username, the info will be automatically linked to your profile. If you don't want that, you can send Lindsay an email requesting a new username.

Just FYI, all of that information (name, address, etc.) is public record. All anyone needs to do is put your RR username, i.e. your callsign, into the FCC ULS and your name and address come up in seconds.

Like Jerry said, if that concerns you, look into getting a PO Box for your license address.

n5ims

It's not just RR that makes this info available. There are many sites where you can do a call sign lookup to get it. Some even have prior records available so you can find them from their old call or even previous addresses. With the earlier records available to preserve your address info, you'll need to not only change your license's address to a PO Box, but you'll need to move after making that change so the prior records will show your current address and then the PO Box (but not your new address since your PO Box would still be valid and unchanged).

If you're worried that this info may set you up for a burglary, it probably won't be the RR info that'll get you since it would be much easier for that crook to simply do a zip code search for hams in the area where they want to do their crimes (they'll probably search the tax records on-line as well so they hit the half-million dollar house and ignore the $50,000 ones).

This info has been available for hams even prior to the internet. While it's easy to find now, there were books published quarterly with the ham's call sign, name, and address known as "The Radio Amateur Callbook" such as this one from 1931 (1931 "Radio Amateur Call Book Magazine" Antique Ham Radio Wireless Telegraph | eBay) and this from 1990 (Rare International Ham Radio Amateur Callbook 1990 | eBay) available on eBay. You can get a new one on CD from the ARRL and other dealers.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Just FYI, all of that information (name, address, etc.) is public record. All anyone needs to do is put your RR username, i.e. your callsign, into the FCC ULS and your name and address come up in seconds.

This! A thousand times this!

My suggestion would be to write the FCC and ask if they have permission listing your contact information in the public record...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

My suggestion would be to write the FCC and ask if they have permission listing your contact information in the public record...

I wonder how many hams aren't aware that this information is part of the public record? Nevermind third party sites like QRZ and RR displaying this info, you can go right to the source (FCC) for the info.

I've seen a few posts here inferring some sort of invasion of privacy on RR's part. If I were concerned about my privacy, the very last thing I would do is use my amateur callsign as my username on one of the world's most popular radio hobby sites. All Lindsay did was automatically link that username/callsign to the FCC's amateur database, and made it optional for those who don't use their callsign as their username.

The best option for anyone who objects to this, and is currently using an amateur callsign as their RR username is to send a username change request to support@radioreference.com

SCPD

QRT
I realize it's a public record, but I don't want to make it easy for anyone. It's my call and my address. Someone should have asked. If my phone number was public I certainly wouldn't post it on any websites.

I don't think Linday would like it if I published his home address everywhere. That's a public record.

GrumpyGuard

I realize it's a public record, but I don't want to make it easy for anyone. It's my call and my address. Someone should have asked. If my phone number was public I certainly wouldn't post it on any websites.

I don't think Linday would like it if I published his home address everywhere. That's a public record.

Get over it. When you decided to get your amateur license you knew all the information would be public record. All RR is doing is importing the information from the FCC. Since you have a problem with it, contact the FCC and tell them you don't want your address in the data base (good luck with that)

If you are a LEO or FF you might want to have your license address changed to your department or like everyone else has suggested get a P.O. Box. You might want to go back to bed and get out on the right side of the bed.

ecps92

Next everyone will be asking 411.com to delete the information available :twisted:

fineshot1

This is the reason i do not use my call sign as my user name on RR as the look up
for ham calls is too easy. I once had a wacko ham harass me and had to get the
local leo's involved. I do not need that kind of stress in my life....

Moose

Attn: Moderator

Do you think this thread should be moved to a different forum?
Replies are coming in from other states and this subject's scope
goes beyond NJ. Thanks

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Get over it. When you decided to get your amateur license you knew all the information would be public record. All RR is doing is importing the information from the FCC. Since you have a problem with it, contact the FCC and tell them you don't want your address in the data base (good luck with that)

If you are a LEO or FF you might want to have your license address changed to your department or like everyone else has suggested get a P.O. Box. You might want to go back to bed and get out on the right side of the bed.

+1.... Get over it.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Do you think this thread should be moved to a different forum?
Replies are coming in from other states and this subject's scope
goes beyond NJ. Thanks

School Safety Patrol is here..... Nothing to see here.... Move along.... Nothing to see here....

GrumpyGuard

The ability to filter out the street or P.O. Box address does exist. I just joined a forum at 73s.org When you do a search the city and state only show. If this is of concern maybe Lindsey could get to code from them and filter out the street address.

SCPD

QRT
some people

Some people like to be private,whats so wrong about that?
info and pictures everywhere,social networks,there are some people who dont like these,many of you find that hard to believe.Not everyone can like the everything.Why should my address be on display if I want a radio license?I dont have to post my address for a drivers license!Why a ham license?

SCPD

QRT
info and pictures everywhere,social networks,there are some people who dont like these,many of you find that hard to believe.Not everyone can like the everything.Why should my address be on display if I want a radio license?I dont have to post my address for a drivers license!Why a ham license?

You go girlfriend!

SCPD

QRT
Next everyone will be asking 411.com to delete the information available :twisted:

If they don't want it listed, yes they should. I just removed mine. I know this will be a shock to you, but some people pay money to have their phone numbers unlisted.

Have you applied for a job at Facebook? You're their kind of guy (assuming you're a guy).

And to the person who suggested I get a PO Box, please send me a check and I will get one.

lep

It goes back to the concept of regulation of the radio spectrum, a 'free good' in economic terms, the use of the spectrum is regulated for obvious reasons. The spectrum belongs to all of us so we delegated the reguation to a Federal Agency since the physical universe doesn't stop at State boundaries. A driving license confers an entirely different kind of 'privilege' (BTW it wasn't until the 1930s that many States even issued driving licenses).

Anyway, the short version is that the Federal Agency has to keep a record of the licenses for purposed of sorting out cases of Harmful Inteference (a defined term of art). Congress passed the FOIA and Federal Agencies are required to disclose, except in special cases, the contents of their records, they have no choice in the matter, it is the law.

Hence Federal radio license information is Public. (and in some States so is the driving license info).

SCPD

QRT

I have a driver's license. Should my DL number be on a public website? Maybe also my health records while we're at it. It's a slippery slope.

In my opinion the FCC should give hams an opt out if they don't want their addresses listed. They removed addresses from enforcement letters, so I don't think this is asking for much.

Status
Not open for further replies.