posting pictures in replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

On some occasions I've tried attaching a picture as a file in replies, but I get an error message that the file's too large. How can I fix that? (I'm using standard *.jpg format) I can't find any way to reduce the file size when I take the picture (no such settings on my camera).

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
WB9YBM,
Now that I sitting at a real computer with keyboard, time for some level of detail.

Depending on your computer, you might have resources available in a software application. Or your camera may help you directly such as taking pictures in 640 vs. 1080. That will get a smaller file to work with. I believe pictures are limited to 800 by 600 pixels on RR. Numbers and labels vary, but a typical full size picture might be 2400 x 1200 or another label I have seen is 30 inches by 24 inches. Resample is taking the larger numbers down to something RR likes. You might also find something online that will help, but then 'they' will access to your original picture.

Google "picture resampling" and the amount of hits and information will make your brain hurts... :)

Good Luck,
Mike

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
A free program that comes on windows computers is called PAINT. If you open your photo using this program you can SAVE AS, if you save as PNG it should decrease the file size enough to work.

But as @KE5MC pointed out, check camera settings and change resolution to 640.

Screenshot 2019-05-22 18.03.43.png

Last edited:

slicerwizard

A free program that comes on windows computers is called PAINT. If you open your photo using this program you can SAVE AS, if you save as PNG it should decrease the file size enough to work.
WHAT??? If you save a photograph as a PNG file, it will be huge and the image dimensions will be unchanged anyway, which won't help make RR happy.

Use something like IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide to reduce the dimensions by 50-75%.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Paint will work if that's available on the computer. As slicerwizard points out dimensions will not change (in this case), but the file I'm using in example1.jpg went from 51.7KB to 173KB and the only change noted in properties is color depth went from 24 to 32. The operation system is Windows 7 Home Premium and the supplied application Paint and Snipping tool.

Paint calls the process Resize, different name to reach the same objective.

Original file (UHFsoc.JPG) was 812 by 233 which I used in another post without resampling so I was close enough to the limits on size of picture and file it was imported as is. Example1 is the original in Paint and Example2 is the Resize original in Paint. File size went from 51.7KB to 52.0KB. In this case files size was small and acceptable, issue to address directly was horizontal and vertical picture size.

For this post both examples were in the 800 by 800 range and I picked 600 for the second value and maintained aspect ration. I then saved as JPG and imported to this post.

I tried to snip the same area in Paint so the resulting JPG for example1 and example2 would be of similar display. The blue lines under Repeater Search is the image. Notice how resizing in the lower example reduced the blue line image.

I hope this helps...
example1.JPGexample2.JPG

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Paint will work if that's available on the computer. As slicerwizard points out dimensions will not change (in this case), but the file I'm using in example1.jpg went from 51.7KB to 173KB and the only change noted in properties is color depth went from 24 to 32. The operation system is Windows 7 Home Premium and the supplied application Paint and Snipping tool.

Paint calls the process Resize, different name to reach the same objective.

Original file (UHFsoc.JPG) was 812 by 233 which I used in another post without resampling so I was close enough to the limits on size of picture and file it was imported as is. Example1 is the original in Paint and Example2 is the Resize original in Paint. File size went from 51.7KB to 52.0KB. In this case files size was small and acceptable, issue to address directly was horizontal and vertical picture size.

For this post both examples were in the 800 by 800 range and I picked 600 for the second value and maintained aspect ration. I then saved as JPG and imported to this post.

I tried to snip the same area in Paint so the resulting JPG for example1 and example2 would be of similar display. The blue lines under Repeater Search is the image. Notice how resizing in the lower example reduced the blue line image.

I hope this helps...
View attachment 71498View attachment 71499
Thanks, it has worked for me in the past but perhaps it was correct size to begin with. I stand corrected.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
N1GAW,
I was thinking of you when I posted and deliberately used, "in this case". Working with picture data is like herding cats. In your case I'm thinking the picture may have had a greater color depth than Paint could use or need and threw the information away when it wrote the PNG file. The resulting image on the screen did not look different as the changes were color gradient and not size, but the file was much smaller.
Interesting topic and pictures can eliminate a lot of words, but posting them, how does one get it done.
73, Mike KE5MC

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
A quick fix would be to upload pic(s) to Instagram then redownload it to your desktop. Pics always come back much smaller. They come out of my camera too big to work with, so I always do a mass upload to IG and they all come back with a much smaller footprint. Easy to do, not too time consuming, and you get pics that are much easier to work with anywhere.

JD
kf4anc

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've had good luck with Paint before but only when my source or original files were BMP format which were always huge. I'd always compare saving in both, JPG and PNG and PNG almost always came out just a wee bit smaller than JPG when using Paint to convert from BMP.
Not sure why as saving a JPG as a PNG in Paint often made the file size a tad larger, not by enough to make a difference though as far as uploading to many websites went.

If my source files were already PNG or JPG and also too large to upload, then I'd often need to resize usually with Irfanview like slicerwizard mentioned or sometimes with Paint. Both worked but Irfanview has many more options if needed.

Blackink

Open the picture in Paint, once there, make sure you're on the Home tab. Click on Resize, a Resize and Skew window opens up. There you'll see Horizontal and Vertical with a listing of 100%.
Click twice in the Horizontal box, so the 100% is highlighted. Enter a number, say 50 (you'll notice the number in the vertical box also changes to what you type in the horizontal box), hit Enter or OK (at the bottom of the window).
Your picture just reduced by 50% from what it was.
Click on the Save button, or hit Ctrl + S to save the picture in its new size.
You can enter any number you wish in those boxes and the picture will change accordingly.

You can also make pictures bigger by entering bigger numbers than what is there, say-150, to enlarge the picture.

WB9YBM

WB9YBM,
Now that I sitting at a real computer with keyboard, time for some level of detail.

Depending on your computer, you might have resources available in a software application. Or your camera may help you directly such as taking pictures in 640 vs. 1080. That will get a smaller file to work with. I believe pictures are limited to 800 by 600 pixels on RR. Numbers and labels vary, but a typical full size picture might be 2400 x 1200 or another label I have seen is 30 inches by 24 inches. Resample is taking the larger numbers down to something RR likes. You might also find something online that will help, but then 'they' will access to your original picture.

Google "picture resampling" and the amount of hits and information will make your brain hurts... :)

Good Luck,
Mike
Thank you, Mike. I'm not familiar with the "sampling" stuff, and my camera does not have a whole bunch of controls on it, so my options are a bit limited. I'll explore the computer programs in a bit more depth--maybe I'll have luck there.
--Klaus

WB9YBM

Open the picture in Paint, once there, make sure you're on the Home tab. Click on Resize, a Resize and Skew window opens up. There you'll see Horizontal and Vertical with a listing of 100%.
Click twice in the Horizontal box, so the 100% is highlighted. Enter a number, say 50 (you'll notice the number in the vertical box also changes to what you type in the horizontal box), hit Enter or OK (at the bottom of the window).
Your picture just reduced by 50% from what it was.
Click on the Save button, or hit Ctrl + S to save the picture in its new size.
You can enter any number you wish in those boxes and the picture will change accordingly.

You can also make pictures bigger by entering bigger numbers than what is there, say-150, to enlarge the picture.
Thank you! I'll give it a try.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
If the picture is of little value, it ok to work with the original. Otherwise copy the file and work with that. I can't tell you how many times I have saved the changed picture over the original file. :-(
Good Luck!
Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Irfan view is by far the easiest programme to change the file size - even I can do it - that's how I made my Avatar! 96x96 pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.