POTUS in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistatecj

Hi Guys,

Since the president is in town this evening, I figured I would try listening. Have any of you had any luck with any of that traffic? Looks like he is taking Marine One from O'Hare to downtown, and then the motorcade. I was able to find a listing of the USSS, but not sure how active they are or if it is worth it?

David

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
The Secret Service frequencies will alway be active, but they tend to be simplex, so you have to be near the motorcade and they will be mostly encrypted.

But if you want to see what is active, by all means scan them.

- Chris

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet to hear anything, especially outside the city, is the TFR/CAP air traffic. The Executive Protection talkgroup on the Chicago trunked system is usually active with motorcade security (though encryption is selectively used), also heard some traffic earlier on StarCom21, mainly on the Chicago PD Interagency talkgroups and District Chicago Metro H. There'll probably be quite a bit of traffic on ISP's Executive Protection Zone 1A talkgroup, but it's 100% encrypted. Citywides are usually in use, possibly the Cook County interop repeaters. If I remember right federal agents have access to the O'Hare trunked system, but I can't remember which talkgroups they were active on. Otherwise, pulling in anything federal is tough or impossible. May want to keep an ear on the 25 Cities repeaters, there could be some traffic on there, but with it involving the president I would guess it would all be encrypted.

JnglMassiv

I had the scanner searching the FED VHF band all day and didn't notice any unusual traffic. I didn't even know he was in town till I got in the car to leave work at 5 this evening.

mistatecj

Thank you for the responses. I figured it would be worth a try. Years ago I picked up the local police, Detroit, broadcasting throughout the motorcade, but also no Feds.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Oddly, I thought there'd be some sort of CAP yesterday, but I heard nothing at all. Maybe they stopped that practice?

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Oddly, I thought there'd be some sort of CAP yesterday, but I heard nothing at all. Maybe they stopped that practice?

My guess is it was because he wasn't here that long, but yeah, I thought that was weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.