POTUS Newark NJ , and North Jersey visits today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
It'd be a very good day to scan 400-419MHz in North Jersey for unidentified USSS frequencies. Including for the mobile trunk system that's been detected the last few years and is believed to be either aboard Roadrunner or the HMMU.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Eastern Somerset County will be the destination. LZ for White Tops Western Union County.

MStep

Did anyone actually hear anything today "in the clear" on the fed frequencies? I go back to the days when 163-172 MHz was the "playground" of the USSS, FBI and other federal protection details. Even when the move was made to the 400 MHz band, there was still enough unencrypted activity to actually do some decent monitoring back in the day. Details and frequencies not necessary, but did anyone have any luck today?

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Did anyone actually hear anything today "in the clear" on the fed frequencies? I go back to the days when 163-172 MHz was the "playground" of the USSS, FBI and other federal protection details. Even when the move was made to the 400 MHz band, there was still enough unencrypted activity to actually do some decent monitoring back in the day. Details and frequencies not necessary, but did anyone have any luck today?
Nope. I have listened to every POTUS visit in my area, over the last 5 years, (during Trump, there were many, I live next to Bedminster)
I have never heard any Fed Freq in the clear during these visits, that pertains to the POTUS visit....except for MilAir freqs .....

Anyone else?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
As for the USSS, I have occasionally caught a single unit or the Command Post in the clear for one or two transmissions during a POTUS or VPOTUS visit. And often units will switch to clear mode before and after the protected party as left the site.

You have to be close by the big event as they don't use repeaters, except for special situations.

Your milage may vary...

- Chris

ecps92

CLR vs ENC - YMMV is my expectation

I've heard many a unit in the CLR, untill "Wheels Down" then 98% coded with a few exceptions of someone who
a. Lost the ENC
b. Forgot to enable ENC
c. insert other reasons here

As for the USSS, I have occasionally caught a single unit or the Command Post in the clear for one or two transmissions during a POTUS or VPOTUS visit. And often units will switch to clear mode before and after the protected party as left the site.

You have to be close by the big event as they don't use repeaters, except for special situations.

Your milage may vary...

- Chris

ecps92

As CP already pointed out
" You have to be close by the big event as they don't use repeaters, except for special situations. "

Yes they were on the "Commonly known - already in the world wide web famous RR Wiki" USSS channels
103.5 and DVP for many years before the move to P25 and the $001 NAC

40+ yrs of monitoring, some were on Repeater, most Not
Were these transmissions on the standard USSS known channels? Were they simplex or repeater?

ecps92

What Mobile Trunk ?

If my memory is correct it was a band openning from West Point, not a mobile trs :oops:

It'd be a very good day to scan 400-419MHz in North Jersey for unidentified USSS frequencies. Including for the mobile trunk system that's been detected the last few years and is believed to be either aboard Roadrunner or the HMMU.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
What Mobile Trunk ?

If my memory is correct it was a band openning from West Point, not a mobile trs :oops:

There's been a couple detections of it. I think Chris actually wrote an article up on it at one point if my memory serves me correctly.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
There's been a couple detections of it. I think Chris actually wrote an article up on it at one point if my memory serves me correctly.

I did a write up on the history of these trunked systems while back, but I was not aware of anything heard in the last couple of administrations. There are likely some transportable systems available for special event use, but I have not run into anything for routine VIP visits or even the political conventions or debates.

But always be searching, because you never know what might show up!

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.