POTUS to visit Ranch Mirage this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scancho

Premium Subscriber
I hadn't realized but it's in all the local news today: Obama will host the King of Jordan at Sunnylands according to KESQ.

Last time POTUS was in town made for somewhat interesting comms on CHP freq referencing vehicle/dignitary activities while in open comm, all in cryptic code talk of course. Motorcades and strange/cool looking what I assume were Secret Service support vehicles were not an uncommon sight.

scottyhetzel

Yup, They left the hotel on Hwy 111 and closed the highway down for 20 min. or so last time. I heard RSO usits using "paul" identifiers. It would be a good time to scan the Federal frequencies. Thanks for the heads up.

scottyhetzel

CHP for POTUS protection are going by "Guardian". I heard CHP airplanes using CLEMARS UHF channel to "Clear the sky" at 6:00pm PST. POTUS flew over at 6:59 and landed at Palm Spring airport. I have not seen any jets or helicopters. I don't see any planes in the 10 mile TFR (temp.flight restriction). I need hears a lot of Enc on the Fed. VHF channels. Sorry not to report anything exciting...

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Hearing Combat Air Patrol for the first time, coming in super clear on 271.000 for the Obama visit to Rancho Mirage this weekend. I heard them say "40k" I assume 40,000 feet ?

I would assume not. 40,000 ft would normally be referred to as FL400 (flight level four zero zero).

scottyhetzel

Altitude assignments at or above 18,000' MSL are called “flight levels.” They are called “flight levels” because the pilot uses a constant altimeter setting and does not reference local altimeter settings until he descends back below 18,000'. When referencing flight levels, first state the term “flight level” followed by each digit of a flight level spoken individually. For example:

“Flight level two zero zero.”
“Flight level three four zero.”

Markb

Premium Subscriber
40k could mean many things. Hard to tell without context. There is a lot of slang and brevity codes used by CAP. FL400 seems a little high for them, as they normally hang out in the 20,000 foot range.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
The CAP generally worked a block altitude between FL250 and FL280 during these flights. The "40k" reference might have been related to fuel. The fighters did a lot of aerial refueling during those four days.

~ Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.