POTUS Visit to COS for AFA Graduation 6/1/2023 - Monitoring suggestions?

tcarro15

TV News Manager & Firefighter
Premium Subscriber
POTUS will be coming in to Colorado Springs on June 1st for the Air Force Academy Graduation. I would like to know if anyone has any specific frequencies for the motorcade, aircraft, etc that may be involved. I assume AF1 will fly into KCOS and from there they will take Marine 1 to the Air force Academy. Any suggestions on monitoring any of their comms would be cool.

radio

Premium Subscriber
1. POTUS Interstate 25 Motorcade from Colorado Springs Airport/Peterson AFB to USAFA done by CSPD, CSP and EPSO on DTRS Colorado Springs Simulcast C Zone 6, 7 or 8.

2. CSP, EPSO and CSPD block the interchanges operating on same C Zone as motorcade proceeds north and then back south to Airport.

3. On USAFA grounds program the USAFA System: United States Air Force (157) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State. There you will hear the buses and USAF Medics. Sometimes the Security Services will operate in the clear instead of their usual encrypted.

4. EPSO does traffic control as well as other duties on the grounds. That also is done on Colorado Springs Simulcast EPSO North and C zones.

5. USAF Fire and their ambulance service operate on El Paso Red on Colorado Springs Simulcast or a C Zone

6. Air Shows (United States) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference you will find the Thunderbirds frequencies for the fly over.

Enjoy the scanner traffic as you watch the graduation ceremony broadcast on one or all of the local TV stations and/or LIVE on one of the websites.

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
Nice, good info. I figured most of it would be as you said, but I thought I'd see what else I could find I don't know.

Side note; I'm the TV News Assignment Manager for one of the local stations and have 20 years as a news photojournalist, and have done many presidential visits, this is just my first in the springs, and first as an assignment manager, so I'll be on the news desk coordinating our reporters and photographers at AFA, and monitoring everything. I would think they'd just use the helos instead of a ground motorcade though, like they did when the potus came for the marshall fire. I was there for that. Both the fire and potus visit.

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
1. POTUS Interstate 25 Motorcade from Colorado Springs Airport/Peterson AFB to USAFA done by CSPD, CSP and EPSO on DTRS Colorado Springs Simulcast C Zone 6, 7 or 8.

2. CSP, EPSO and CSPD block the interchanges operating on same C Zone as motorcade proceeds north and then back south to Airport.

3. On USAFA grounds program the USAFA System: United States Air Force (157) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State. There you will hear the buses and USAF Medics. Sometimes the Security Services will operate in the clear instead of their usual encrypted.

4. EPSO does traffic control as well as other duties on the grounds. That also is done on Colorado Springs Simulcast EPSO North and C zones.

5. USAF Fire and their ambulance service operate on El Paso Red on Colorado Springs Simulcast or a C Zone

6. Air Shows (United States) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference you will find the Thunderbirds frequencies for the fly over.

Enjoy the scanner traffic as you watch the graduation ceremony broadcast on one or all of the local TV stations and/or LIVE on one of the websites.

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
We also have a PD encrypted radio on the news desk, but it only has the main dispatch division channels, none of the ops stuff. So it'll probably be business as usual on those channels.

radio

Premium Subscriber
CSPD on C Zones are in the clear. Only when they are on the actual CSPD talk groups.

I can see the AFA grounds from my balcony. For the 10 years I have lived here, I don't recall any Marine 1 ops. But then I only recall POTUS going to AFA graduation 3 times. Any other POTUS visits to the city I did not pay any attention to it.

Wait, I suddenly recall when Trump came here for a campaign rally, he got stuck in a malfunctioning elevator at the Antlers Hotel. I remember hearing the traffic when CSFD had to respond to get him out!

Last edited:

tcarro15

Premium Subscriber
So, educate me like I'm 5 ( seriously ), I've been a scanner nut for 34 years, but this 'zone' thing is new to me when it comes to this simulcast system, I'll be monitoring on a Whistler 1040 and 1065, are any of the CSPD channels not encrypted that I can plug into those on the DTRS Simulcast system, and will it work on these models, or am I just straight **** out of luck and need to get an SDS model? (in the works coming next month).

radio

Premium Subscriber
tcarro 15, The C zones are interop talk groups for any Fire, EMS or Police Department, or Utilities for an emergency situation, training or municipal events like fireworks, parades, etc.

I have no knowledge on any radio other than a Uniden.

One must have a Uniden SDS 100 or 200 to be able to clearly monitor any Simulcast system unless you are tied up to a cable attached to a Yagi antenna.

Granted anybody who can pick up a county tower like in Fountain or Mt Pittsburg, you can get most city and county talk groups. They are NOT simulcast so the other analog or Digital Phase 1 radios work just fine off of them.

C zones in Colorado Springs and El Paso County operate as follows: C 2, 3, 4, are operated by El Paso County agencies. C 5, 6 and 7 are Colorado Springs operations. C 8 is primarily used for emergencies at Colorado Springs Airport grounds. C 9 is Mutual Aid Coordination to assemble Strike Teams from the city to respond to the county and vice versa for major emergencies.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

radio

Premium Subscriber

tcarro 15

Here are some more nuggets for you. Above is a link explaining the Colorado DTRS System use of MAC channels. and which counties are assigned to what talk groups and for what use. Remember, C Zones are used inside of the city and El Paso.

The MAC channels in the above link explain their use when a county unit goes into another county for an incident. You can hear in the city many different law enforcement operations. You can hear high speed chases on the interstate from one county to the other. El Paso County fire units go into Pueblo Co and vice versa for fires or Interstate incidences.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
So, educate me like I'm 5 ( seriously ), I've been a scanner nut for 34 years, but this 'zone' thing is new to me when it comes to this simulcast system, I'll be monitoring on a Whistler 1040 and 1065, are any of the CSPD channels not encrypted that I can plug into those on the DTRS Simulcast system, and will it work on these models, or am I just straight **** out of luck and need to get an SDS model? (in the works coming next month).
There are a couple of ways the word "zone" is used.

In this context of radios being used by the personnel in the field, a zone refers to a group of channels that is programmed into the radio. It is usually done in groups of 16 channels that can then be accessed using the channel knob at the top of the radio. Zones are usually labelled alphabetically to help locate them quickly. The A zone would be programmed with that radio users most used channels, so EPSO's A1 is probably EPSO 1 and CSFD's A1 is probably CSFD Fire 1.

The C Zone is a common zone agreed upon between all the El Paso County agencies to program in exactly the same way so that anyone with a radio in El Paso County will be able to talk to each other using the same channels in case of a big event or incident. If any agency wants to talk with each other and they agree to switch to Zone C Channel 2, they will all end up on the same C2 channel.

CSPD is completely encrypted and cannot be heard by a scanner unless they switch to a channel/talkgroup that is not encrypted. The C Zone is not encrypted so that everyone will be able to talk to each other without any issues because not every radio is setup to listen to encrypted radio traffic.

A separate usage of the word zone is more technical for the radio system, which I have used in a previous thread of yours. There are different geographical regions that have separate zone controllers. These zone controllers manage the radio activity for that system's zone, so it figures out stuff like talkgroup routing to all the different sites within that zone. This is displayed in the RadioReference Database as the RFSS field for the different sites for DTRS, which most people will just prepend to the site numbers. El Paso County operates its own zone (Zone 4) mostly in isolation from the rest of DTRS, which is what led to your prior issues with hearing El Paso County Sheriff.

For simulcast, you may or may not need a SDS scanner based on your personal experiences with encountering simulcast distortion (link). The brief explanation for simulcast distortion is that your scanner gets confused by overlapping radio signals from many different radio transmission sites that are behaving as a single logical radio site for the system and all share the same frequencies. This can lead to broken audio or mysterious periods of silence in combination with your scanner's screen flashing in confusion, even though the actual professional radio users can obviously hear each other without trouble. If your use case is stationary and you can hear radio transmissions fine, then you are lucky and may not need an SDS scanner.

The Colorado Springs Simulcast site is the primary site for all of El Paso County, so almost every single radio user in the county uses that radio site to communicate. The other sites in the El Paso County zone are used as filler sites for the gaps in coverage, so there will be occasions where you will not hear traffic on those sites unless there is someone listening from within that site's coverage area. This is due to a trunking concept called affiliation (link) which you can read about in the linked page.

Last edited:

MountainMoose

Scanner Geek
We also have a PD encrypted radio on the news desk, but it only has the main dispatch division channels, none of the ops stuff. So it'll probably be business as usual on those cha

There are a couple of ways the word "zone" is used.

In this context of radios being used by the personnel in the field, a zone refers to a group of channels that is programmed into the radio. It is usually done in groups of 16 channels that can then be accessed using the channel knob at the top of the radio. Zones are usually labelled alphabetically to help locate them quickly. The A zone would be programmed with that radio users most used channels, so EPSO's A1 is probably EPSO 1 and CSFD's A1 is probably CSFD Fire 1.

The C Zone is a common zone agreed upon between all the El Paso County agencies to program in exactly the same way so that anyone with a radio in El Paso County will be able to talk to each other using the same channels in case of a big event or incident. If any agency wants to talk with each other and they agree to switch to Zone C Channel 2, they will all end up on the same C2 channel.

CSPD is completely encrypted and cannot be heard by a scanner unless they switch to a channel/talkgroup that is not encrypted. The C Zone is not encrypted so that everyone will be able to talk to each other without any issues because not every radio is setup to listen to encrypted radio traffic.

A separate usage of the word zone is more technical for the radio system, which I have used in a previous thread of yours. There are different geographical regions that have separate zone controllers. These zone controllers manage the radio activity for that system's zone, so it figures out stuff like talkgroup routing to all the different sites within that zone. This is displayed in the RadioReference Database as the RFSS field for the different sites for DTRS, which most people will just prepend to the site numbers. El Paso County operates its own zone (Zone 4) mostly in isolation from the rest of DTRS, which is what led to your prior issues with hearing El Paso County Sheriff.

For simulcast, you may or may not need a SDS scanner based on your personal experiences with encountering simulcast distortion (link). The brief explanation for simulcast distortion is that your scanner gets confused by overlapping radio signals from many different radio transmission sites that are behaving as a single logical radio site for the system and all share the same frequencies. This can lead to broken audio or mysterious periods of silence in combination with your scanner's screen flashing in confusion, even though the actual professional radio users can obviously hear each other without trouble. If your use case is stationary and you can hear radio transmissions fine, then you are lucky and may not need an SDS scanner.

The Colorado Springs Simulcast site is the primary site for all of El Paso County, so almost every single radio user in the county uses that radio site to communicate. The other sites in the El Paso County zone are used as filler sites for the gaps in coverage, so there will be occasions where you will not hear traffic on those sites unless there is someone listening from within that site's coverage area. This is due to a trunking concept called affiliation (link) which you can read about in the linked page.
Great info! Thanks!

scanner_nut

MAC 12 TG 4011 active. NORAD CAP Bigfoot active 271.0. Noble 10, Noble 11 on station coord w Denver Ctr on 379.950. Mention of NORAD blue frequency, anyone got a list? The KC-10 RTB last night along with this jet - ADS-B Exchange - track aircraft live. I did not see any replacement last night.