Powell Valley Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj4g

Amateur Radio
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of frequencies for this utility that are located in sneedville and tazewell, tn.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It appears that the closest base stations are in Tennessee. Check these frequencies. Licensed for NFM and DMR.

Sneedville

New Tazewell

aj4g

Amateur Radio
Premium Subscriber
Thanks,

Do you know the confige for dmr, color, slot, etc?

Ralph / aj4g

mikethedruid

Hi Ralph ! I live in Hancock County about 4 miles north of Sneedville, and the same south of the Virginia border. My little farm is on the south slope of Powell Mountain with Route 63 along its western border. I'm not into scanners. I'm a retired EE, and a collector and restorer of antique radios. I saw this thread, and had to respond. I guess you're in Virginia, not far away.

aj4g

Amateur Radio
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Yes, I live in Ewing, Va. not too far from you. I am an extra amateur radio operator and have several scanners that I use as a hobby.
Are you a licensed amateur radio operator?

Ralph / aj4g

mikethedruid

No, Ralph, I'm not a ham. I have been a SWL since I was a kid. I also began to collect antique radios when I was 12 years old, back in the days when you could pick them up on the street for free on garbage day, or at the Salvation Army for $5 or less. I also started my own business at that age fixing my neighbors radios, TVs, and small appliances. I had begun to read everything I could get my hands on about electronics when I was 9 years old. I had my parents buy me the latest editions of Electronics Illustrated and Popular Electronics every month, and Radio and TV Experimenter (with White's Radio Log) every quarter. By the time I was 12 I had destroyed a few radios, but learned to fix them eventually, and also learned to do the easy fixes on the old tube TVs of the period. As I said, I began to collect antique radios back then. I still do, and have dozens of sets around my house, and some boxed up and stored in my barn. One advantage of being single is I have nobody to ***** at me about my collection, LOL ! I never got into amateur radio because of the code requirement. I instead just was an avid short wave listener, and BCB DXer. I know the code requirement has been dropped, but I don't have much interest in Xmitting anyway. I just keep restoring old radios, and seeing what I can pull out of the ether.

aj4g

Amateur Radio
Premium Subscriber
Good deal, glad you have a hobby that you really enjoy. I have been into ham radio for over 25 years or so and have been into scanners longer than that.
What kind of receivers do you listen to swl on? I own my little company for over 35 years also, I do appliance repair, warranty and out of warranty
for customers. I have even been to sneedville, tn working on some appliances in the past year or so. Might get to meet with you sometime.
If you are ever around Ewing, Va. I will show you my radio shack and shop.

Keep in touch.

Ralph / aj4g

mikethedruid

I have a lot of "daily drivers". You can find pictures of some of them in the Vintage Receivers thread in HF/MW/LW Equipment . Right now my daily driver is my Lafayette HE-30. Others are, Hammarlund HQ-140-X, Hammarlund HQ-145, National NC-125, National NC-60 Special, National SW-54, Scott SLRM, Allied A-2515, RCA T8-18, RCA C9-4, RCA 18 T, Philco model 66, Philco 37-630, Philco 38-10, Philco 48-482, Knight Kit Star Roamer, as well as newer radios, Grundig S350DL, and a Tecsun PL-600. I have others, but I don't listen to them much. These get listened to at least a few times each year, sometimes for weeks. Right now I am in the middle of restoring a Hammarlund HQ-129-X. I've finished the electronics, I still have to strip the outer cabinet and re-paint it.

Status
Not open for further replies.