HP-2: Power Adapter Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

Please, a little help regarding the HP2. I own ans HP2 and it is running only in home with batteries. However, I have read that it is possible to use an external power adapter with proper mini-USB plug. I am confused about this statement, specifically:

1) I am assuming that it would be an 5vdc adapter 1000ma or above (as stated in manual). Could a Cellphone charge work?

2) The manual specifies that it for CHARGING the batteries in the receiver. My question is, "do you have to leave batteries inside or does the adapter supply the power? I have not seen this point addressed.

3) If batteries HAVE to remain in the radio, do they have to be rechargeable batteries? I am not using rechargeables presently.

Thanks

Mojo2017

ab5r: Your question on would an apple iPhone six 5 volt wal-wart be acceptable to use as a charger for the HP 2. I don’t know what amp those are. I am a new user also, I would like to know the answer too though. Would also like to know if the scanner can be powered without batteries also. Maybe a someone in the know on the forum will post an answer soon. If the Apple wal-wart can be used, I want have to order one!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any USB charger with a rated current output equal or greater than the scanner current rating will work.

Mojo2017

Thanks jonwienke! I tried a 5v amp USB phone wart, ab5r it works, but would not without batteries in the radio. I would advise using rechargeable batteries in the radio if you use the wal wart. I’m gonna to take my batteries out and charge them outside the radio just to be on the safe side. If a battery failed and heated up inside the radio connected to a charger, I could ruin a 500 dollar radio! Not good! Probably would be a slim chance but it could happen!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You need good quality batteries in the radio for it to work properly. Preferably rechargeable NiMH, so you don't accidentally try to recharge alkalines. The scanner doesn't charge fast enough to heat up the batteries, so don't worry about that. But it's a dumb, timer-controlled charger, so you will probably get more life if you use an external charger.

ab5r

Guys, I would think that the adapter was doing nothing but keeping the batteries (inside) charged......NOT powering the radio directly. I guess the results may be the same, but???

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the batteries are fully charged, then only the scanner is drawing power, not the charging circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.