Power Fix for the PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris45

In the past Quantum Instruments Inc., of Hauppauge New York manufactured a sealed lead acid HAM Battery pack that powered battery eliminators for a variety of handheld radios. I still have my original pack from the 1990’s and now it only charges up to two of the green power indicator lights. I will send it back for new cells, but that is not bad for around 16 years. I also used it to power my portable scanners having the barrel power connection.

The PSR-800 that is a real power hog. Reducing this and turning off that only minimizes the power drain of even the best NIMH AA batteries. Probably, the radio should have been designed to hold 6 rather than 4 AA batteries.

Though the HAM battery has been gone for years, Quantum manufactures a variety of good power portable batteries for powering cameras and camera flashes. One of these batteries is the Quantum 2X2. It is a NiMH Rechargeable battery pack with (no memory). It has a built-in belt clip, can be carried with a shoulder strap, and size wise is 6.25 x 3.875 x 1.875" (159 x 98.5 x 47.5mm). The weight is 32 oz (907 g).

The 2X2 uses the SD-14 adapter having a female vehicle lighter adapter for connecting to the a 12v male vehicle Adapters used for Cell Phones & PDA's. Thus the PSR-800 can be connected to the 2X2 battery for charging or scanning. In the scan mode the backlight will stay. I am still experimenting as to how long it will take to drain the Quantum 2X2. A very long time since the radio is receiving only.

Just passing this along for those who enjoy hours to days of uninterrupted monitoring.

Quantum Instruments, Inc.
10 Commerce Drive
Hauppauge NY 11788-3968 USA

Tel: (631) 656-7400
Fax: (631) 656-7410

Status
Not open for further replies.