Power on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve08CVPI

Turn it on it powers up starts to scan then turns itself off then turns itself on repeat. Won’t just stay on. What gives?

RBMTS

Others have stated that the power cycling problem is due to a corrupted or bad SD card. You can try to reformat it but you might have to replace it. It is suggested to replace the card with a "High Endurance" type SD card.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
SD card just went bad while the scanner was running?

Yes, very possible. As mentioned many, many times in the forums... anytime anything strange happens to one of the SD card scanners, the first suspect should always be the SD card. Only takes a couple minutes to troubleshoot, and most always proves useful.

Reformat the card, and then use the "clear user data" function in Sentinel. If that doesn't help, try a new card.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If a different SD card does not help, find a different power source. Especially if you are using a switch mode wall wart like came with the radio.
I've seen many of them that will show fine with no load but fall flat on their face with a load. Some fail immediately while some fail after several seconds like yours is doing.
It's usually a capacitor that has gone bad in the wall wart.

The message about the clock also indicates your internal RTC battery is probably bad unless you have not used this radio for a long time.
Uniden will fix the RTC battery for free. Send it in for that problem and the power cycling problem may also be fixed if it's a problem on the logic board which is replaced when they change out the RTC cell and circuit with a capacitor backup.

Steve08CVPI

So I got a new SD card. Formatted it, dragged the laptop out to the car, turned on scanner and it’s working back to normal without doing anything but being off for a day.

Ubbe

It's probably the SD card and the scanner resets when it tries to record a conversation. Try to disable record and see what happens.

/Ubbe

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure record is off. I’ve never turned it on
I think Ubbe is talking about the 'Replay Options' settings. I'm not positive but I think that is set to 240 seconds by default so your 536 is always recording and erasing audio clips even if you never use the instant playback feature.

This feature is suspected of causing SD card failures due to the near constant writing to the card from busy systems. The oldest file will be 240 seconds max or whatever your replay timer is set at. This is different than manually activating record which records and stores everything until you turn it off or power cycle the radio.

The SDS models remember if recording was active and will turn it back on after a power cycle while the x36HP models turn off manual recording after a power cycle.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure record is off. I’ve never turned it on
As noted, the Replay feature records the past few transmissions received so that, if you missed something or wanted to confirm what you thought you heard, you could play it back.

You say you 'never turned recording on'. But, unless you made it a point to turn replay off, that is still recording audio. It's on by default when you first get the scanner and/or install Sentinel. Edit your Profile in Sentinel. In the lower left corner, under the Miscellaneous tab, you can set the length of audio to be recorded for replay, or set that feature as off.

Replay Options can also be changed on the scanner itsel by choosing that option under the Settings menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.