Power over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboosey

I got a Power over Ethernet Adapter plugged up one upstairs (where router is located) and other downstairs. I got all my systems (computers, TV, router, modem, and even the coaxial cable) through my 2 UPS's.

How safe is my network devices and of course my scanner since its hooked up to computer for broadcast? I noticed theres been some surges every so often. What keeps that surge from affecting the network devices (router, modem, and computers)?

I tried to do wireless for the downstairs, but it is slightly too weak to get an IP address and sluggish performance.

You really need to consider how much stress you are putting on those two UPS's. Do they have adequate wattage to be able to handle all of the draw of your electronics, especially if the TV is LCD/LED/Plasma. Figure out what your total power draw is for everything, and then consider if the two UPS can handle it.

Caboosey

The TV is a CRT and hooked up to a surge protector on a different wall socket. I'm looking to get a third UPS.

I have an APC Back-UPS ES 750 and APC Back-UPS ES 550.

The power surge seems to trigger only around 6AM every 3 to 4 days. Of course, the only thing thats powered up at that time is the scanner, computer server, router, and modem.

What keeps that power surge from going through the Power over Ethernet Adapter (its hooked up straight to the wall)?

Last edited:
Well, your reply clarified that a bit. Your question is a good one... What other outlets are running off of the same circuit breaker that you are using for the PoE adapter? It may be a larger electrical issue rather than an electronic issue.
Do you see the same power surge without using the PoE adapter, plugging something directly into the wall socket?

N

N_Jay

What do you mean by "Power Surge"?
Is it just the UPS cycles on and off once? That can be just a very small sag and nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.