Power Supplies, RF quiet, Linear or Switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Folks, keep in mind that the OP's total current requirement at this time is 3.5 amps. He probably doesn't need a big, expensive power supply.

The MegaWatt 30 amp version is $60 on eBay from a reputable seller, considerably less than the 7-amp Astron linear supply. Might as well get more juice for less money in case it's ever needed.

swman

The linear Astron RS-12A power supply is the BEST "Cool and Clean" operating choice for the Icom IC-R8600 including any extended operation / warm ambient room temperatures and NO fans ! Larger Astron linear supplies (RS-20A etc) if additional accessories are connected or planned. Might seem overkill but ....?

N9EWO Review : Icom IC-R8600 SDR Receiver

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The MegaWatt 30 amp version is $60 on eBay from a reputable seller, considerably less than the 7-amp Astron linear supply. Might as well get more juice for less money in case it's ever needed.

My question in post #16 is what is causing me to hesitate over sizing.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
About how much current would a 30A power supply draw on 120VAC when on but idle with no load? Would a switching PS draw less than a linear in that state?
Checking Astron's page, power supplies idle around 100-200mA, regardless of switching or linear.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Have a look at the SEC 1223 or SEC 1212. I have them nice and quiet no issues for three scanners. I also added cheap LED volt meters to the front.

Attachments

• 9C482E2D-96D0-4205-A73E-0373A3CB4D2D.jpeg
    9C482E2D-96D0-4205-A73E-0373A3CB4D2D.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 17

K4EET

Chaplain
I'll also give an endorsement for Astron power supplies. Not that you need them but I have two RS-50M (50 amp model - linear power supply with voltage and current meters) that have been in constant service since the mid-1980s or about 35 years each.. And neither has any fans. They are both cooled by convection and massive heat sinks. Astron power supplies are well-built like tanks, expertly engineered to allow for plenty of design margin with the components and have quick-acting protective circuitry for over-voltage protection to keep your expensive equipment safe.

Other power supply brands are cheaper, both in the linear and switching variety, but you have to make sure that corners were not cut, margins minimalized, etc. to shave overall costs. You do in-fact get what you pay for and you can sleep well at night if you are like me and leave the Astron power supplies turned on 24/7. My two Astron power supplies have never let me down.

You also asked:
About how much current would a 30A power supply draw on 120VAC when on but idle with no load? Would a switching PS draw less than a linear in that state?
The short answer is not much, probably less than 250 mA AC. I have a clamp-on ammeter and a 120 VAC / 25 amp breakout box that would enable me to answer your question exactly at least for a Astron RS-50M under no load. I'll try to get one of my grandsons to help me move some storage boxes around to find those items. Unfortunately, I am wheelchair bound and have very little upper body strength to "dig" through my storage boxes so it may be a week or two before I can lay my hands on the test equipment. I'll let you know when I find them.

Cheers! Dave K4EET

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am wheelchair bound and have very little upper body strength to "dig" through my storage boxes so it may be a week or two before I can lay my hands on the test equipment. I'll let you know when I find them.

Cheers! Dave K4EET

Dave, no way please don't go though all that for me. Take care my friend.

belvdr

Agreed. Astron's page gives a good enough answer. Even if they are off by 100%, we're still talking milliamps.

K4EET

Chaplain
Agreed. Astron's page gives a good enough answer. Even if they are off by 100%, we're still talking milliamps.
Okay folks, thanks for your comments. I'll just roll back into retirement for now. But if my grandson/granddaughter needs a virtual Science Fair Project for school, this "seed" of an idea may blossom into a good school project one day while we are still in a quasi-quarantine state of life. ;)

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
After hearing all the praise on astron power supply, Will be ordering one soon. After getting burned on a Alinco unit dying under 2 years of use, am hoping a astron will last longer.

K4EET

Chaplain
After hearing all the praise on astron power supply, Will be ordering one soon. After getting burned on a Alinco unit dying under 2 years of use, am hoping a astron will last longer.
Excellent choice of brands! In keeping with the theme of this thread, which technology (linear vs. switching) are you thinking of getting and why?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Have to research linear vs switching more before deciding. Since my IC 705 is battery operated, only my yaesu FTM 100D will will be hooked up to the power supply.

k6cpo

I've had one of these running in almost continuous service since around 2012. It's a switcher, but it's very quiet and has a control that will allow moving of any birdies off the operating frequency. I have mine powering two VHF/UHF dual banders, a 100W HF radio, an MFJ auto tuner and a Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I've had a Yaesu FP-1030A linear power supply running continuously since I bought it back in 1998 - 22 years of yeoman duty!
GNCUe.png

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I've had one of these running in almost continuous service since around 2012. It's a switcher, but it's very quiet and has a control that will allow moving of any birdies off the operating frequency. I have mine powering two VHF/UHF dual banders, a 100W HF radio, an MFJ auto tuner and a Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer.
Thats the one that died on me in less than 2 years. Never transmitted on it. Your lucky with yours.

JerryX

I use these on all of my rigs that run on 13.8V DC. I've examined their output on a spectrum analyzer and see nothing that would give me pause even for use on HF.

powerwerx-30-amp-desktop-dc-power-supply-with-powerpole-connectors__8299_580.jpg

belvdr

Thats the one that died on me in less than 2 years. Never transmitted on it. Your lucky with yours.
Or you're unlucky with yours. LOL I was looking at one of those previously, but just don't hear much on whether their gear is ok.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use these on all of my rigs that run on 13.8V DC. I've examined their output on a spectrum analyzer and see nothing that would give me pause even for use on HF.

powerwerx-30-amp-desktop-dc-power-supply-with-powerpole-connectors__8299_580.jpg

Does the fan run all the time, variable speed depending on load? Is it quiet?

Thanks

WB9YBM

You didn't mention under what load conditions...any info on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.