Power Supply for a Pro 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallileo60

This takes a 9 volt AC power supply...Any way around that, or where I might get one??? I called the Shack, but they were not very helpful...All my other scanners run one DC...Thanks, Tom

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
He needs a 10 VAC 300ma supply, from the manual:

CONNECTING POWER
Use the supplied 10V, 300-mA AC adapter to power the scanner.

Warning: Do not use the AC adapter’s polarized plug with an extension cord receptacle
unless the blades can be fully inserted to prevent blade exposure.

Cautions:
You must use a Class 2 power source that supplies
10V AC and delivers 300mA. Its plug must fit the scanner’s AC 10V jack. The supplied adapter
meets these specifications. Using an adapter that does not meet these specifications could damage the
scanner or the adapter.

• A replacement adapter is available by special order through your local RadioShack store.

dkf435

Have found modem or telephone answering machine adapters at second hand stores and Goodwill that will work.

If you cannot find one you can take and bust a 9v one apart and remove the cap and diodes and put back together.

Not sure why Uniden made these models with AC adapters.

David Kb7uns

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Have found modem or telephone answering machine adapters at second hand stores and Goodwill that will work.

If you cannot find one you can take and bust a 9v one apart and remove the cap and diodes and put back together.

Not sure why Uniden made these models with AC adapters.

David Kb7uns

Yep, what dkf435 said. A lot of old external modems used 9VAC adapters.

I'd try and keep the current rating near the 300ma though otherwise you may end up with 16VAC. A lot of those old wall warts used the load to set the voltage correctly and using an adapter with too high of a currect output could allow too much voltage.

The radio likely has 4 diodes inside (judging from the parts list) at the power jack that converts it into DC right around 12 volts. A simple regulated 12VDC adapter of 500mA may work just fine but not sure on the tip polarity.
It does not have a clock so I doubt it needs to see a 60 cycle signal for a clock signal but it could depend on the 60 HZ AC line frequency for other clock (timing) functions such as scan speed etc. Hard to tell for sure without a schematic but I'd bet a 12VDC adapter would run it just fine if you are willing to take the risk.
Otherwise, find an old 9 VAC modem adapter like dkf435 said with a 300 to 500mA output and that will run it.

Radioshack does sell an AC output adapter. A bit pricey at $20 bucks but it should work as long as you get the correct tip size. It looks like they still give you one free tip and it is carried in some of the stores. Just take the 2016 into the store so you can match the tip size. I'd set it on the 9 volt output being as it can supply 800mA of current.

Enercell Multivoltage 800mA AC Power Adapter : AC Adapters | RadioShack.com

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
PRO-2016 schematics are available on the FCC site; search for AAO2000422.

The AC power input is connected to a full wave rectifier that provides the main DC voltage to operate the radio. There is also a voltage doubler powered from the AC input to provide higher voltage for the PLL and VCO. Running the radio from a DC power adapter would definitely not be recommended.

The Uniden part number for a 10V 300mA AC adapter is AC-144U. Amazon lists this item at http://www.amazon.com/AC-AC-ADAPTER-10VAC-300mA-RIGHT/dp/B00HBYKO2C/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

kruser

Premium Subscriber
PRO-2016 schematics are available on the FCC site; search for AAO2000422.

The AC power input is connected to a full wave rectifier that provides the main DC voltage to operate the radio. There is also a voltage doubler powered from the AC input to provide higher voltage for the PLL and VCO. Running the radio from a DC power adapter would definitely not be recommended.

The Uniden part number for a 10V 300mA AC adapter is AC-144U. Amazon lists this item at Amazon.com: AC-AC ADAPTER 10VAC @ 300mA, RIGHT ANGLE 2.1MM POWER PLUG: Electronics

How right you are!
I tried but could not get to the FCC OET site last night and figured they broke it for the holiday weekend but it did open for me today after reading your post and seeing they had not made the documents private.
I was really amazed they had not removed these documents from public view as so many do these days. Good find on this one!

I agree that running the radio from a DC source is not a good idea now that I see the voltage doubler circuit and true full wave rectification.
The main schematic shows the voltage doubler obtaining part of its power before the full wave bridge circuit but then if you look at the block diagram, it appears that the voltage doubler obtains its source after the full wave rectifier circuit. I think someone made a slip of the pen when they drew the block diagram. The doubler circuit is also unswitched so it is always supplying power even when the rest of the radio is switched off. I did not follow all that the doubler circuit powers but they may be leaving that powered to keep the PLL and VCO circuits warm for better stability when the main 5 VDC supply is switched on.

There is a zener in the doubler circuit that sets that line at 16VDC and everything else (other than the audio amp) is fed through a 5VDC (7805) regulator so it does appear the AC input voltage has some room for input voltage swing. All the primary filter caps are rated for 25 VDC but the unregulated audio amp chip has a max voltage input of 16 VDC with a 10 ohm power resistor in series before its Vcc supply pin. I'd say it would be safe to supply anywhere between 10 and 15 volts AC at the power jack with the radio turned on.

I wonder what the unloaded output voltage is from the Uniden AC-144U wall wart?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The AC-144U powers my BC278CLT. Measured with a Fluke 187 meter, the line voltage was 122V and the no load AC-144U output was 10.8V.

Since the AC-144U is available it is the adapter I would recommend buying for the PRO-2016. That way any questions about output voltage and regulation are taken care of.

gallileo60

Thanks everyone for your input..I will certainly look into the ac 144u...I know its not that great of scanner, but I am really wanting to play around with it..Some of you fellows really know your stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.